averaging samples...slc5/03

Rob3192

I am trying to take the average of 120 samples over a 2 min period. I used indirect addressing (timer and counter combination) to fill a floating file. Now i need to average them.
i try using the compute instruction but its too many ...
thanks...

How about adding each sample to a "running sum" address (floating point) and when you get finished taking samples, just divide it by 120. Of course you must clear the value before you begin.

averaging samples

thanks for your reply...

I try creating the running sum before but had problems... when the rung was true it will execute on every scan cycle and the total was an erroneous number. i recycled the same address in the add instruction as source A and destination..

It sounds like your ADD instruction was staying true for multiple scans, adding the same sample over and over again.

Look into the OSR instruction.

When you take a sample, you want to use a oneshot type of instruction to perform the addition since you only want to add that number once. It is okay to have the same address as a source and destination.

If you post your code (zip it first) we can sort it out.

Paul