Mass Flow Meter Brands

Hey all,
Anyone have a favorite mass flow meter brand? Ive been using sage meters, but ive just encountered too many issues, and their service is just too slow (weeks to recal (4 to 6 week order times). Anyways, any other brands people like? Thanks

Matthias

Which mass flow technology is sage?
Thermal dispersion?
DP with pressure & temp comp?
Coriolis?
Vortex with absolute pressure comp?
Load cell belt scale?

My assesment:
Sage had a bunch of problems, but now has a handle on them and is improving

FCI good reliability, a little pricey, and response time is very slow compared to others. Also, they really push the Vortab to lock up jobs and that is a little tainted with snake oil

Eldridge Products - more problems than Sage, getting better, their averaging unit is working OK on a couple of projects, now wirth a look

Kurz - good quality, no problems, better bet than FCI, service so so

E&H (Endress & Hauser) best of bunch, great quality, good service, good accuracy, reasonable price for quality

Sierra - haven't tried yet, had good reports from others

I use E+H whenever I can (i.e. application can afford it!). I just ordered a Corioilis unit with Ethernet/IP and look forward to trying it with a compactlogix.

I use Sierra for my lower-end gas flow measurement. I have been happy with the products. One product line I have been looking at but never purchased is Bronkhorst. I like the range they offer and may try one soon.

Mass Flow Meters

I've only had experience with two vendors of mass flow instruments: Micro Motion (back before Emerson bought them out) and Endress+Hauser. The E+H was a really versatile unit, wasn't all that hard to configure, was reliable, rugged as the devil's chainsaw, and accurate, but all things for a price.

Micro Motion wasn't that much cheaper, was somewhat more delicate (this was more a factor during installation, though) and was a bit more needy of regular maintenance to keep it up to snuff accuracy-wise. Still, it was a reliable enough unit for the purpose to which we put it. (In fairness, I believe environmental conditions on the Micro Motion were a little more harsh, though.)

Both of these were in use at a hardboard mill where I used to work, and saw very rough service conditions. Both were still in service over ten years after being installed, and were still working well last I knew about it.

I'm curious: what prompted the question. Did you have a particular application in mind?

Later On,
D

I've used Thermal Instruments, Kurz and Sierra.

Their sweet spot is measuring dry gases. They're dynamite for that.

None work at elevated temperatures, (asphault) regardless of their claims.

Wet gases are problematic. Temperatures below the dewpoint cause condensation and the meters just don't perform when they've got condensed moisture on the elements.

I've never tried any of them on liquids, other than one experience with 3 different brands on asphault, none of which worked, so I just don't know.

I know one guy who claims FCI's work great on cooling glycol solutions.