AB PV550 Alarms

AJZ

I am programming a SLC5/03 and a Panelview550 for a small machine. I have a question regarding the alarm feature of the PV550. Why will the alarm banner not pop up when two or more alarms are triggered at the exact same time? And when the alarm banner is displayed with the alarm list, a second alarm trigger will not display the alarm unless the first trigger has turned off? Why is this happening?

I have used the alarm banner feature numerous times and have never experienced this problem. Here are a couple of obvious things to look at. In the Alarm setup screen under alarm messages screen make sure that the display box is checked for each of the alarms you wish to display. Also, you may want to check the snapshot timeout setting under alarm setup. This is the length of time the terminal waits for the controller to complete I/O scans when an alarm is triggered. You may have already checked both of these items, just trying to think what may be happening. Hope this helps.

I figured out the cause of my problem with the PV550 Alarms.
I had my trigger type set as 'LSBit'. When I changed it to 'Bit', everything is working as expected.

Just a suggestion--when I do alarms, I make sure, via the PLC code, that only one alarm is active at once. AND And the active alarm is the one that occured first. This prevents "cascading" alarms--those alarms that occur as a result of an earlier alarm. If conditions are present that would trigger a second, seperate alarm, they will still exist after the reset and that alarm will now be active.