failure of plc loder

raju

We are having several yarn winders which are controlled by inidvidual plcs. Whenever program fails we reload the program using back-up tape cassette, for which a loader is used. Now the loader is not working. Except for the electronics the mechanism is just as any other tape recorder. Can someone help with details like, 1) Can an ordinary tape cassette be used ( we have attempted and didnt succeed. 2) The reading head specifications etc. i can give any other information required. My plc is FUZI- FTB-56, Tape drive model is - SANYO--PHC-DRII. Baud rate is 2400 with signal stabilizer, phase shift and remote cancel functions. Sources of getting it repaired are welcome.
Immediate respons will be highly appreciated and ackowledged.

--Raju.

When you brought this subject up three weeks ago, you were advised to START NOW to find a replacement PLC for these obselete units because you're living on borrowed time.

From your description, it sounds like your SANYO unit has a built-in modem, so its no surprise that just any cassette recorder won't work. A company called STR-LINK (or something similar) used to sell cassette units that worked with multiple PLC brands, but I don't know whether they are still in existence or got purchased by some larger corporation.

Don't waste any more time than necessary messing around with tape storage of your programs. The best you could ever say about it was that it was possible to backup your programs on tape. As soon as alternative methods became available, PLC makers stopped using tape. That should tell you something about the reliability of the procedure.

steve, do you have any idea about this back up with an alternate system? because these cassette tapes are not available in market now.
raju.

Wake up and smell the coffee

I truly dislike being the asinine one but guess someone has to do it.

Casette tapes used with plc's is old and forgotten technology.
ANY PLC that needs tape backup, especially to be reloaded, is OPEN to an upgrade.

PLC's are not infallible, like most electrical devices there comes a time when they need to be replaced.

The time and cost of attempting to buy products to maintain the tape backup for your system will probably be MORE than you purchasing NEWER components and rebuilding the system...done correctly you may eliminate a large percentage of downtime. You will also have a newer type system that if you do the work on you will fully understand.

HI !

AS RIGHTLY SUGGESTED BY STEVE BETTER YOU GO FOR NEW PLC RATHER THAN WASTING MORE TIME & MONEY ON OLD SYSTEMS.

I THINK MITSUBISHI FX ON/1N/2N OR SIEMENS S7-200 SHOULD SERVE YOUR APPLICATION. IF YOU WANT SOMETHING REALLY CHEAP THEN TRY MESSUNG XMP SERIES , BUT BE CAREFULL ABOUT HIGH SPEED I/O WITH MESSUNG!

REACHASP

WOW

The last time I saw a cassette tape drive was in high school on one of those Commodore computers with the green monitor. The monitor and keyboard were one molded piece.

Jim

GO JETS