5/01-5/02-5/03

poiuy

I got a free 5/01 from work for a fun personal project I'm working on. I've heard that the 5/01 is pretty limited, so I'm considering buying a 5/02 (or better, if I can get a good price). What I want to know is, is the 5/02 that much better than the 5/01? Is it worth the $20 or so? Keep in mind I'm a starving college student [;)] , and I'm trying to do all of this as cheaply as possible. Thanks. While we're at it, does anyone know a website with a RSView32 tutorial?

Last edited:
The more the merrier!

The SLC 5/01 is a fine processor IMO. However, as you move up the line to the 02, 03 and so on, you pay more money and you get more bells and whistles. The 02 has a few more instructions in its list than the 01 does, so it will let you do a few more things. However, if you are just starting out, stick with the 01 and max it out before you move up. That will take you some time and plus you are gonna have to have a rack, some I/O modules and a power supply also for any processor you choose.

Randylud is pretty much on the mark. For your purposes the 5/01 will do most basic things you want for learning.

Compared to the 5/02;

The 5/01 mainly lacks a PID block, a SCL (analog input scaling) and the ability to do indirect addressing easily.

Compared to the 5/03:

The 5/03 offers Online Editing (a biggie in real life applications), and more powerful messaging, a lot more memory and a range of higher level instructions, that are useful in particular situations, but not essential.

All up, for your purposes the 5/01 is likely to be fine for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom