ControlNet Question

Greg Dake

Greetings,

I've done a couple of smalll ControlNet projects, so I am somewhat familiar with the technology.

I'm looking at designing a couple of ControlNet networks and I am considering using redundant media and modules. The system primarily consists of remote I/O racks.

The question I have is: What are the disadvantages to using redundant (coax) media on a ControlNet network?

Here are a couple I can think of:

1.) All modules on the same trunk must support reduntant media, you cannot mix redundant and non-redundant devices.

2.) Obviously cost.

3.) Any others?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

I think you've covered the important issues well.

The two most common issues I run into with ControlNet media redundancy are:

1. Labeling. I think every ControlNet tap comes with "A" and "B" labels, but installers throw them away by the dozens. Mixing the A and B channels can cause a lot of confusion during network startup. Label them and connect them correctly !

2. Secondary channel availability. I've seen a few systems where the installation quality was poor and the system would select the best channel to run on, leaving the secondary channel faulted. Users would ignore that faulted channel because "the system was running" and would not bother to troubleshoot the media installation problems until the controlled system was too far along in commissioning to allow media troubleshooting. Make sure BOTH channels are in good shape before proceeding with commissioning !