Forgive me if this has been asked before

Razor89

but i am fairly new to programing with a USB-serial converter (my old serial port equipped laptop finally gave me the blue screen of death recently) and i need some help with setting up my comms to a lesser known PLC and programming software

im using a Direct-logic plc, with DS Launch programing software.

my usb converter is also a Automation direct product (MG-Pgm cable)

i would like to know how to configure the programming software on my laptop as well as how to change the port on the plc - right now its set for comm 1 on the plc - i need to set it to comm 2 to plug into the serial connection on the plc itself.

any advice you can give would be welcomed this is the first time ive dabbled with this brand of plc/software and its got me puzzled.

Nick

When you plugged in the USB-Serial adapter Wndows should have recognised it and assigned it a COM port number. Right click on My Computer, choose Properties. Go to the hardware tab then to Device Manager. Go down to 'Ports'. Open it up if needed and see which COM port was assigned. Now close that up.

Plug your cable into the PLC. In Directsoft and set up a link to the PLC. Choose the COM port you saw before. (Note: if the COM port is not available then come back and post that.) Any adjustments based on the port on the PLC should be automatically done in the setup.