AB SCL500 to visual basic

maxy123

Hi
Anyone know of trial software to interface AB SCL500 to visual basic
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Regards
maxy123

What type of interface you are looking for?
To read and write PLC memory without writting PLC code
or just to exchange some data with PLC?
In first case you are probably better of by using 3rd party
OCX such as ingear etc.
In second case you can use ASCII messaging PC<>PLC
which is cheaper but slower and requires programming on the
PLC side as well.
So... what exactly you have in mind?

I agree about automation solutions, I have used it for a number of years developing visual basic interfaces with Allen-Bradley as well as Modbus with no problems. Also the great thing is there are no pricey run-time modules to buy each time. [email protected]

Mark,

Could you please give more details.

Are you using any 3rd party ActiveX components for connections, if yes, which ones and why you choose them, their advantage over others etc.

If you are using your own code to connect to the PLC, please explain how to do so.

Thank You

Automation Solutions

The ActiveX componenet I use is from Automation Solutions.
You just place the control in your VB project, make a fews calls
and you have the info. The software that I use from Automation Solutions is the ABDH+ or the AB Ethernet. We use it with a PKTX module installed. Here is the basic code to get started.

If ASABDH1.Busy = False Then 'If not busy...
ASABDH1.Function = FUNC_AB_SLC500_READ_WORD
ASABDH1.NodeAddress = 2
ASABDH1.MemStart = "N50:3"
ASABDH1.MemQty = 20 'Number of elements = 20
ASABDH1.Refresh 'Initiate transaction
End If

You can also read from floats, bits, strings, etc.

Hope this helps.
[email protected]

Thank you for the starter Mark,

We have yet purchased any drivers, was searching through the net for a cost effective solution and at the same time easy to use for VB beginners like me.

We see this will reduce some cost on HMI, but not sure why this method is not very popular in automation groups.

Thank You Again beerchug