Help with advanced functions

lisa162

I Have been given a question in my assignment that i am finding difficult to answer. It asks to evaluate and describe the range and type of facility that advanced functions perform in PLC's.

The trouble is i cannot find any descriptions of advanced functions. It is becoming a nightmare. :confused:

Well, first... we don't do YOUR homework. That information should have been covered in your textbook or class lecture.

Second, that is such a stupid question!! That combination of words doesn't even make sense!! PLC advanced functions do not perform a facility.

ouch thats a bit harsh!! i realise this, i was looking for help on where i can find information as our notes are a bit thin on the theory behind this. i cannot help it if the question is stupid and makes no sense its what is written in the assignment!

Last edited:
If you consider the definition of "Facility" as "something that permits the easier performance of an action" the question makes sense, although it seems that this teacher could have worded this question differently to make it easier to understand.

As for the question, you can look at it in two ways: First, as mentioned in the link provided above, you can say that boolean logic, comparisons and basic math are the basic programming functions and other advanced programming functions have been created to make programming the PLC easier.

Alternatively, you can say that the basic function of the PLC is to control using discrete and analog I/O, but that today's PLC can perform advanced functions beyond the basic control function.

OZEE's statement is correct. Typically, we will not do your homework for you, but we will give you hints. You will need to figure out what you instructor wants and then do the research to figure out what the advanced functions are.