Two Axis Servo System Ideas

tspisak

I have a two axis servo project that I'm brainstorming (~700watts per axis). The typical customer spec'd A-B servo systems that I've used in the past are too expensive and too large for the requirements of this project.

I want to use a product that is made for industrial environment (VERY dirty, hot) so no ribbon cables and no flimsy motor/encoder connectors, .... Space is a premium too so the smaller the foot print the better. (yes - I want everything, inexpensive, small, easy to use, reliable, ...)

I'm curious what other people have used.

Just started a project with AKD drives and AKM motors from Kollmorgen. Don't have much experience with them yet but they look promising. Cost is about 40% less than the Allen-Bradley Ultra 3000 drives we had been using, and the panel footprint is much smaller for a similarly-sized unit. Plus, we get much better support from the distributor.

http://www.kollmorgen.com/website/com/eng/akd_drives.php

I worked with Kolmorgen stuff years ago (BDS3, BDS4) and it was very solid stuff. We beat the crud out of their motors and drives and had very few issues. This was in the tire industry so it was also very dirty.

We have good luck with IAI Robotics http://www.intelligentactuator.com/

Although I don't know if they pass the "robust connector" test. Not much strain relief on the motor and encoder cable connections.

We have many pick-and-place setups, automated test chamber drawers, and even using one as a board press.

Relatively cheap and easy to program.

I work for an IAI distributor and from the sound of the environment, I'd be very cautious using IAI here.

With dirty environments you should look into units that can be air purged with a small internal pressure to keep dust from coming int the device.