three phase to single motor

hotrod

Hello we have a single phase pump 115/230 ac volts and the shop we want to use it in has three phase 230 volt system, but no 230 single phase service available to us for now, would it work off of just using two of the legs off the three phase service. any ideas would be really appreciated thanks.

thank you, I was having a hard time trying to get Mr. old school to go along with that thanks again!

You mention that the pump is 115/230 volts. You can use any 2 legs of a 3 phase system, unless the controls for the pump need 115 volts, then you will also need a neutral connection.

You mention that the pump is 115/230 volts. You can use any 2 legs of a 3 phase system, unless the controls for the pump need 115 volts, then you will also need a neutral connection.

120/240 means it's a dual voltage motor. Nothing to do with needing both to run. Control voltage if needed would come from a transformer in the starter.

120/240 means it's a dual voltage motor. Nothing to do with needing both to run. Control voltage if needed would come from a transformer in the starter.

Thanks, I realize that. I was just making sure the OP was only talking about the motor itself, and not a complete pump assembly.

hotrod,
Why not just rewire the pump's motor to use 120v? I realize the amperage draw will be higher, but if it's a single phase motor, it can't be that big anyway. If you run your motor from two phases, it will only get 208v, and will most likely run hot, as it's under volt-ed.

-rpoet

hotrod,
Why not just rewire the pump's motor to use 120v? I realize the amperage draw will be higher, but if it's a single phase motor, it can't be that big anyway. If you run your motor from two phases, it will only get 208v, and will most likely run hot, as it's under volt-ed.

-rpoet

They have a 240v system, not 208v

What type of three phase do you have? Be detailed in your answer. 4 wire Wye, 3 wire Delta ungrounded, 4 wire delta center tap, etc?

What type of three phase do you have? Be detailed in your answer. 4 wire Wye, 3 wire Delta ungrounded, 4 wire delta center tap, etc?

Who are you referring your question to? The OP already stated 240v 3 phase. You will have to assume from there..

They have a 240v system, not 208v

If that's true, then using two phases and wiring the motor for 240v will work great. I was just suggesting an alternative if he had a neutral and/or if he only had 208v available. A 240v delta system will probably allow for 120v loads, though certainly not always.

-rpoet

The only flavor of three phase I am really sure about is 208 Wye that it does not have a wild leg. It is possible that the variety of three phase he is dealing with has a wild leg and if so, don't just pick any two legs to connect the motor.