ControlLogix/CompactLogix

Yes, but it depends on the project. The compactlogix supports a smaller number of tasks and the IO is different. Compactlogix support for motion is also decreased. In addition to the different IO modules, ControlLogix IO analog modules also do not support on module scaling and alarming, so any functions performed by the module will have to be programmed in the CompactLogix.

and besides the information from my distinguished colleague Alaric, make sure that you DOWNLOAD if you want the program to go TO the controller ... the "upload" operation that you originally mentioned would be backwards ...

also, the CompactLogix has some differences in how it transfers its Input and Output data with its I/O modules ... if your ControlLogix project is currently using COS (Change of State) and IOT (Immediate Output) features – and/or relying on an output transfer at the end of every task – be aware that those operations won't work as they did before ...

also, the Fault/Program Action settings are still shown in the setup screens for the CompactLogix output modules – but those settings don't work once you leave ControlLogix behind ...

and you also won't be able to RIUP (Remove and Insert Under Power) any defective modules with CompactLogix ... in some "continuous operation" plants, that "hot swap" feature alone makes the ControlLogix platform the system of choice ...

Thanks Ron.

I see that some changes will be needed. Which should not be too difficult.
We mostly have ControlLogix in the field and wanted to setup a CompactLogix up in the office for testing purposes due to the lower cost. But I think it would be in my best interest to setup a ControlLogix system to make sure it will work on the field PLC.
If I can talk my boss into it I would like to go to one or two of your classes.

We mostly have ControlLogix in the field and wanted to setup a CompactLogix up in the office for testing purposes due to the lower cost. But I think it would be in my best interest to setup a ControlLogix system to make sure it will work on the field PLC.

if you just want to test "snippets" of code - such as "will this new timer logic work?" - then you can easily Copy-and-Paste a few rungs from ControlLogix into a bare-bones CompactLogix ... that's pretty quick and easy to do ...

but once you get to the "beyond beginner" stage - things can get trickier ...

what you'll probably find out is that massaging a "complete" ControlLogix program to fit into a CompactLogix system can (usually) be done ...

BUT ...

in many "beyond beginner" situations, the time and effort required to make the conversion will usually justify having a genuine ControlLogix station available for bench testing purposes ...