Rslogix 500 help

benmwagner

Im connecting to a slc 505. My problem is none of the inputs or outputs change in the program when they change on the modules. For example I have a photo eye connected to an input the input on the module is right, but the one in the program changes states randomly. Also I'm online, but I can't seem to change anything. It accepts edits and lets me test them but they have no effect.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Im connecting to a slc 505. My problem is none of the inputs or outputs change in the program when they change on the modules. For example I have a photo eye connected to an input the input on the module is right, but the one in the program changes states randomly. Also I'm online, but I can't seem to change anything. It accepts edits and lets me test them but they have no effect.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Check to make sure that some kind of Simulation Routine has not been enabled. Do a Search All on the problem Input looking for an OTE with the same address. Do a Cross Reference on the problem Input and see if the Data is being overwritten by a Copy or Move. Check to make sure that the I/O Slots are enabled in the Processor Status. As Harry suggested, the Logic may be missing a JSR. If you post your Program, we would be much better able to help you.

Stu.....

The program on the plc runs fine it's doing everything it's suppose to do, but I cant seem to make any changes. Well i can make them but they have no effect at all.

One thing that got me early on in my career...

Are you sure you're really on-line with THAT processor?

We had 6 duplicate machines, all on DH+ network. I went online to change a parameter in one of them and nothing happened. Until all of a sudden the machine 4 lines over started misbehaving..... I was actually connected to the right machine on the wrong line.

Beyond that, I'd be looking for are you really online, not monitoring offline. And some kind of simulation code. But we'll need the program to be able to help diagnose that.

I uploaded the file there aren't many descriptions in the file I started adding them for the inputs and outputs using the schematics for the machine. There is a wire that heats up to trim plastic. It turns off if it waits too long for the next item to seal. Then there is a delay when heats back up. It's on analog output o:6.3. I was going to either pulse it when it waits or just lower the voltage to it. The input I:2/0 is a photo eye that works properly and the input on the module shows that it is working, but when i'm watching it in the program it turns on and off randomly.
Thanks for the help

The only things I see so far are the Generic Cards in the I/O Setup. It is helpful to have the actual Catalog Number listed there. The other thing I noticed, is that Input 5 on Slot 2 is used to fire Ladder 8.

The Processor is in Run, so if the Input shows on, it should be on in the Program. It is possible you have a bad card, but normally with AB, if the LED for the Input comes on, everything is working. The Input should show on in the Program. The LEDs are on the Backplane Logic side, unlike some other manufacturers.

I did not find anything else that would affect the Input in the Program at first glance.

Stu.......

When you say the changes have no effect, is that just in Rslogix or on the PLC also? How are you connecting to the 5/05?

My thoughts about what you are describing.

In the top left side of Logix 500 is a box normally green or Light blue, that says, Run, or Program, or Remote Run, or Remote program,

Can you tell us which you have, ?

I would expect it to be in Remote run for what you are describing, it is controlled by the position of the key on the PLC.

first of all – make SURE that it is SAFE to do this in your plant ...

watch the area shown below ... does the little "Run-Remote-Program-etc." legend shown on the screen change when you change the keyswitch on the front of the processor? ...

if it doesn't, then you're online ("communicating") with the WRONG processor ... quick analogy: you've dialed the wrong phone number – and you're asking for a date next Saturday night... this could be an UGLY situation ...

if this DOES turn out to be your problem, it goes back to what my distinguished colleague OZEE mentioned back in Post #6 ...

Are you sure you're really on-line with THAT processor?

We had 6 duplicate machines, all on DH+ network. I went online to change a parameter in one of them and nothing happened. Until all of a sudden the machine 4 lines over started misbehaving..... I was actually connected to the right machine on the wrong line.

keychange.JPG

Last edited:
It was the wrong IP Address I was connecting to. I was using the one that was on the schematics. I checked in the panelview to see what ip address it was connecting to and it was different. Now that I'm using the right IP address everything is working good. I just wonder what I was connected to the code is the same and it is the only one of those machines that we have here. It isn't possible to get online with something that doesn't exist is it? I will always make sure of the IP address that I'm connecting to for now on. Lesson learned.
Thanks for all the help!

It isn't possible to get online with something that doesn't exist is it?

no, if the little ladder icon in RSLogix was spinning, then you were actually "online" (communicating) with SOMETHING ... my advice would be to track down that "erroneous" IP address and see what effect your "changes" had on that other controller ...