Switching inputs over DF1 coms

Hayden

I am replacing the aging PanelView1200 (DH+) HMIs with Red Lion G308 (DF1) on a PLC5
All is going well with the changeover, they are using different coms ports on the PLC so I can run them both at the same time which helps with the testing and reduces downtime. I am using the G308 as an ethernet gateway to gather recipe values from a MySQL database and log machine stats to 2 different locations, both locally and at head office across the country. All this is running very smoothly.

I have placed some switches on screen, exactly how the Panelview 1200 is setup. The HMI can read the Input bits and displays them correctly, however when I alter the bit (flip the onscreen switch) the bit will not change.

The Panelview 1200 is changing I:54/4, but I cannot with the RedLion HMI
This is the same for all the I:xx bits

The problem persists if I disconnect the Panelview.

I am replacing the aging PanelView1200 (DH+) HMIs with Red Lion G308 (DF1) on a PLC5
All is going well with the changeover, they are using different coms ports on the PLC so I can run them both at the same time which helps with the testing and reduces downtime. I am using the G308 as an ethernet gateway to gather recipe values from a MySQL database and log machine stats to 2 different locations, both locally and at head office across the country. All this is running very smoothly.

I have placed some switches on screen, exactly how the Panelview 1200 is setup. The HMI can read the Input bits and displays them correctly, however when I alter the bit (flip the onscreen switch) the bit will not change.

The Panelview 1200 is changing I:54/4, but I cannot with the RedLion HMI
This is the same for all the I:xx bits

The problem persists if I disconnect the Panelview.

I/O is Scanned, so it is a little different than changing a Bit File. You can't really change an I/O Point by flipping the Bit. I think you will find that the PV1200 is being Scanned as I/O, and is not communicating with the PLC5 across DH+. They use the same Blue Hose, but operate very differently. If you could post your Program File (RSP), Zip it first. We could confirm that.

Stu.....

You are right. The coms is set up for 'Remote I/O Scanner' Not DH+

So is there a way to remotely force these 'Inputs' over coms? Perhaps with a 'Force' of some kind?

No, you should shy away from controlling real I/O with an HMI (unless its on RIO).

I would recommend using an internal address (a B or N bit level address) for your HMI button and edit the PLC-5 program to use that instead of (or parallel or series with) the PV1200 Input address.

No, you should shy away from controlling real I/O with an HMI (unless its on RIO).

I would recommend using an internal address (a B or N bit level address) for your HMI button and edit the PLC-5 program to use that instead of (or parallel or series with) the PV1200 Input address.

There are tricks for turning on I/O Points with Logic, but except for some special cases, this is ill advised. I agree with OkiePC, use B or N Addresses, and add them to the PLC Code. When you have completed the change over, you can delete the PV1200 I/O Points, and free them up for future use.

Stu.....

Nice one, I will add a B or N in parallel with the Input and then when the PanelView has been removed I will delete references to the Inputs and free them up.

Thanks alot for your help. I've been stuck on this problem for a while and you have solved it in a little under half an hour. Nice work.

I had a look thorough the program to start adding the parallel commands...
there are 35 inputs that need to be altered, and each one has between 4 - 8 instances in the program. Thats about 200 parallel commands! Is there a 'replace' command in RSLogix5? That way I could just replace all the instances of I:54/4 with N7:54/4. This would not give me a parallel command, but it would fix my problem.

You can do a search and replace offline, (CTRL+H) and then download. If you can afford to stop your PLC-5 to perform the download, then that might be the way to go.

Be very careful with it, as it is easy to make lots of changes very quickly with the search and replace method.

I had a look thorough the program to start adding the parallel commands...
there are 35 inputs that need to be altered, and each one has between 4 - 8 instances in the program. Thats about 200 parallel commands! Is there a 'replace' command in RSLogix5? That way I could just replace all the instances of I:54/4 with N7:54/4. This would not give me a parallel command, but it would fix my problem.

OkiePCs CTRL-H suggestion would certainly get the job done. However, despite the amount of work involved, I would still go with the Parallel Contacts until my new HMI is fully tested and debugged. If you can afford to put up with any problems, and can shut down the PLC5 Process long enough for a Download. Go for it.

There is a handy option to move the Descriptors during the Replace that you might want to check if you go the CTRL-H route.

Stu.....