Red lion g310 remote access

MATT116

I'm currently setting up a mobile reverse osmosis water treatment system in an 18 wheeler trailer.
I have a SLC 5/05
Redlion G310 using C3 build 222
and a Sixnet BT-6821 wireless modem, this modem use's a SIM card for internet access. The customer already uses AT&T for cell phone service so that's who I'm stuck with.
The problem is that I can't get remote access to the modem or see the G310's web page. I believe its because AT&T cant seem to provide me with a static IP and when I call them I just get stuck in a loop being transferd around from person to person.
My question is has anybody ever done this setup before and if so how did you get a static IP on a sim card. Is there some magic phrase I have to say to AT&T?:confused:

I don't have modem-specific experience, but I've done some remote-access systems using DSL and cable modems with dynamic IP addresses.

My usual solution is DynDNS, where a PC or a device with a DynDNS client can access the DynDNS servers and register its IP address each time it changes.

From the Internet side, I just point my browser or Remote Desktop session at "ROTruck1.dyndns.org" or whatever URL I've signed up for at DynDNS.

Has SixNet given you some ideas ? The product page refers to "BlueTree's powerful Internet connection management". Not sure what that means.

Yes I have spoken to Sixnet they are very helpful. They had one of their techs who has helped another customer do the exact same setup same modem and same G310, so they say but they cant contact that customer to see how he got AT&T to setup the account. The modem software has built in dynamic IP registration so it would update the computer of my choice as to what its new IP is. It would just be easier for my customer to have a static IP to use.
The way I understand it is there are different APN'S WAP.CINGULAR
ISP.CINGULAR but these are AT&T's general ones that don't allow incoming connections. AT&T has told me there are other ones associated with static IP's used for telemetry I just can't seem to get a hold of someone who knows how to set it up on their end. It's very frustrating talking to them.

O-Yea thanks for the reply

Last edited:
The G3 can use DynDNS, but as Matt noted, most AT&T SIMs don't allow incoming connections. I believe Jesse -- the product manager for the G3 family -- has been doing some work on this issue. It's not really our problems per se, but since it impacts a lot of our customers, we have a strong interest in getting it fixed! I'll forward him a link to this thread so Jesse can chime in. (Re your experience with AT&T, it mirrors ours. No-one there has a clue about static IPs or incoming connections. They just want to sell phones!)

Thanks Mike that would be great.
I've found some more info on AT&T's developer forums. A poster on there had success with setting up a I2GOLD plan with a dynamic public IP using wwan.ccs as the APN. I'm now waiting on a AT&T network solution manager to call me back.
Thanks

Matt,

We've been in the same boat, and ended up contacting Manley Solutions http://www.manleysolutions.com/. They helped us out, and we ended up with the I2Gold program with fixed IPs. Wasn't too expensive. Manley only assists in the setup - billing is direct from AT&T after that.

Somehow the billing still got screwed up, so we had to work with AT&T over a few months to fix it. (One month we'd get billed our expected rate, the next it would be for unlimited usage on the 40 SIMS we have. :eek: They of course credited us for the errors... no problems there.)

Anyway, we just had a customer find the process fairly painless by working with their local AT&T Mobility Applications Consultant (that title was provided to us by yet another customer). We haven't been able to chat with the customer to determine what the magic words were, and just how painless it was, but he was up and running very quickly after speaking to that contact.

We should hear more later today.

Jesse

Thanks for the info Jesse.
I did get in touch with a mobility consultant and she had a AT&T network engineer call me. He said that I would have a static IP within the next 24hrs and will also provide me with an APN to use. Hopefully I will hear someting today

Thanks
Matt

Thanks to all who replied.
Finally, today AT&T got back to me today with a static IP and my system is working as planned.
For future reference. Contact your local AT&T Business account executive, AT&T mobility, small business and ask for a i2gold plan with mobil terminated data.

Matt