A tip: Get a STEP7 update contract now !

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
If you have STEP7, but no Software Update Service, then now is the time to purchase one.
It is almost certain that v5.5 will be released in 1-2 months time.
Purchasing an upgrade later, in stead of a Software Update Service costs almost twice as much.

If you have STEP7, but no Software Update Service, then now is the time to purchase one.
Purchasing an upgrade later, in stead of a Software Update Service costs almost twice as much.

Thats a very good idea for everyone not having the "SUS"!

Frank

I have a policy of avoiding updates until I either have a reason such as, I want something being offered or I am forced to update for compatibility with hardware.

Currently I use Step7 V5.3 and see no reason to update. Is there likely to be something comming up that will force me to upgrade?

Currently I use Step7 V5.3 and see no reason to update. Is there likely to be something comming up that will force me to upgrade?

Question: What are you doing, if somebody comes around with
a actual PLC-Version. And the funcionality the cusomers will
use, is only possible to program with a version higher then
V5.4 SP(something). Especially the ProfiNet-support is not
really included in the old Version V5.3. You will not have
any chance with your version to do anything.

Frank

It is almost certain that v5.5 will be released in 5-6 months time (11/2010) :confused:
Is time for WAIT, but not for BUY - SUS for 5.5 is free bonus
http://www.siemens.de/industry/automation/rhein-main/downloads/Documents/H%20Messe%20I_2010_NEWS_RM.pdf

Ab sofort Aktionspaket - nur bis 11/2010 - STEP 7 V3.x (3 - ???) -> STEP 7 Professional + Software-Update-Service ein Jahr bezahlt!
Dann natürlich „Step7 Professional 2010“ (Step7 V5.5) + was in dem Jahr noch kommt kostenfreie Lieferung durch (SUS)!
(nachmalige Ersparnis 650 Euro)

From now on special offer - Only to 11/2010 - STEP 7 -> STEP 7 Professional + V3.x Software Update Service one years paid!
Then of course "Step 7 Professional 2010 (Step7 V5.5) + what the year is still free delivery by (SUS)!
(Afterwards saving € 650)

Last edited:
mjoubert.

I think Siemens is quite fair and reasonable.

You get Service Packs, Hotfixes, and firmware revisions for free.
Major version changes has to be paid for. I think the last major version change from 5.3 to 5.4 was 3 or 4 years ago.

Saperov, your idea is OK if you do not already have STEP7.
If you do have STEP7, but no SUS contract, then it is a good idea to get one now.
My sources says that v5.5 will be released in august or september. If you buy SUS now, and 5.5 only comes in november, then nothing has been wasted. If you wait to buy SUS, and 5.5 is released before november, it is too late to do anything about it.
It is almost certain that v5.5 will be released in 5-6 months time (11/2010) :confused:
Is time for WAIT, but not for BUY - SUS for 5.5 is free bonus
http://www.siemens.de/industry/automation/rhein-main/downloads/Documents/H Messe I_2010_NEWS_RM.pdf

btw. very informative presentation.
I notice that they promise 8x speed improvement for the IM151-8.
Sweet. I use the IM151-8 and have been happy with it so far. Only the performance has limited it to the more modest applications. If it is really 8 times faster than before I think it is a world beater in the lower end of the segment.

"mixed calculation"

Paying for updates ????

There is PLC-Programming-Software available, where
you must have a support contract. Without it, you will
get not even support information from the help line.
Maybe somebody knows which big two letter name I mean.
Finally, any company have a different stile
of "mixed calculation". Thats the way it is.

Frank

Without it, you will get not even support information from the help line.
Is not true - Help line not work only after "Product Discontinuation"
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/42016630
STEP 7 Professional Software Update Service (SUS)
within this agreement you will automatically receive all latest software versions for one year.
The agreement is prolongated automatically by one year, if it is not cancelled 3 months ahead of expiry.
The delivery and service period is one year starting from the date of invoice.
A precondition for the agreement is that you own the current version of the STEP7 software
SUS = receive DVD with update SP - only for your version (5.4).
The Hotfix can be downloaded from the Internet - no DVD.
For 5.5 you need to buy new Upgrade version with USB Upgrade key.

No, we have SUS contracts for both STEP7 Pro and WinCC Flex Adv.

We get new software versions, also if the major version number changes.
If that means the license must be upgraded, then there is a license USB stick with the upgrade in the packages that we receive.

And regarding IBFS' comments, I think he meant that some other PLC vendors does not provide support without a contract.