I/O mods not working

zorin87

I am using a hht to program my slc 500. The comm & run light come on but my I/O lights don't. I set the hht to the right cards in the right slots. Im thinking I got fubar on these mods because the mods that were in there before were working when i first turned it on. The mods that are not working is an ib8 & ob8. does anybody know what could be wrong?

First a little help on deciphering your question, please:

hht = Handheld Terminal?
mods = Input/Output modules?
fubar = ????
ib8 = ????
ob8 = ????

fubar is correct above.
hht is correct above.
mods = Modules.
ib8 = 1746-IB8 24VDC 8 channel digital input module.
ob8 = 1746-OB8 24VDC 8 channel digital output module.

------------------

Did you change any wiring? Sounds like you are missing a 24VDC supply. If I recall correctly, the LED's at least on the input modules should light up even if the SLC Processor is off, if they are connected properly to a power source.

No I have not wired anything to them yet,but the input and output lights should come on without any power supply,when I program them to all be on. Also another problem is when I put the program in run mode it goes automatically back to default mode.

You don't have to hook the mods up to anythig to have the I/O lights to come on. You can make the input lights come on with NC statements and output with OTE statements.

wow, our first instalation without any wiring, just think how small we can make the control cabinet. just the plc and a power supply and everything just works magically :geek:
Also this is going to make a broken / shorted cable obsolete.

And just think, it will be half the cost to build a machine

zorin87:

In case you haven't detected it, your knowledge concerning the SLC500 system and especially how inputs function is limited.

1. Inputs are not used as the targets for OTE type instructions. If you did this it is probably why the program doesn't run.

2. The input lights will only turn on in response to the appropriate signals being applied at their terminals.

3. If you don't already have it download the 'Getting Started Guide' for the hand held terminal available here.

The mods that were in there before when I first got it the lights came on from the previous program that was downloaded on to it and nothing was wired to them.

Lets get basic here. Inputs module lights will not come on unless voltage is applied but outputs will if forced or the logic is turning them on.

When you apply voltage to a input point you are in essence only turning on a light with that voltage. The input and output modules use opto-isolators which see this light and tell the plc that voltage is present on that input.

When the output turns it is sort of reverse in a sense. When the output turns on its led the phototransistor activates the output circuitry to close. the output closing circuitry varies depending on what kind of output module it is ac or dc out or relay.

You don't have to hook the mods up to anythig to have the I/O lights to come on. You can make the input lights come on with NC statements and output with OTE statements.

Wow, I hope your using the PLC to learn and aren't actually trying to control anything with it!

I just told my teacher about it.He told me the same thing you all said about input mods. I told him that the lights came on without being wired and he told me it could be a possible hardware malfunction.

OK I wired up a motor and switch from the schematics that rdrast had and it worked. Thank you guys for the advice.