Issue with RSVIEW ME 4.0 CPR(7)

ydtech

Recently RSVIEW 4.0 (CPR7) started having problems on start-up. It loads until it comes to "HMI Tags Configuration Access". Then it locks up the whole computer and seems to hang there forever. The mouse pointer does move, but only occasionally. After a very long time, some 10 minutes, it does finish loading and afterwards everything seems to work normally.

It happens both when I'm loading an existing project and creating a new one.

This lock-up bothers me, since before it loaded everything in a couple of minutes at most.

It may be a coincidence, but it started acting up when I loaded it while UltraVNC was running.

Last edited:
Recently RSVIEW 4.0 (CPR7) started having problems on start-up. It loads until it comes to "HMI Tags Configuration Access". Then it locks up the whole computer and seems to hang there forever.

This is normal for FactoryBalk View. It will change its behavior each time you reboot, or do anything that alters your Factory Talk Directory. Breathing on the mouse seems to be enough to trigger a change in the F.T. Directory Services Platform. I believe the prototype for the platform was built from empty pixie stix straws and tissue paper.

The mouse pointer does move, but only occasionally. After a very long time, some 10 minutes, it does finish loading and afterwards everything seems to work normally.

It is best to take a break after beginning the process. Messing with the mouse will only exacerbate the issue in my experience. Walk away calmly, and head out for a cup of coffee or a cold beverage and the chemical relaxant of your choice. Some Tai Chi moves and breathing exercises will also help remove the stress before you return to your PC.

It happens both when I'm loading an existing project and creating a new one.

This lock-up bothers me, since before it loaded everything in a couple of minutes at most.

It may be a coincidence, but it started acting up when I loaded it while UltraVNC was running.

I wish I had a sure fire cause for your problem, and that I could offer something more than sarcasm. Just know that you are not alone in your frustrations.

If your case is like mine, the software will go through spells, like menopause or a midlife crises. I dunno, I just know that it gets better sometimes, and sometimes it might get worse.

I found that doing nothing works as good as doing anything, unless you get on the knowledgebase at ab.com and happen to find an exact answer for your exact situation, and then you have an 80% chance the fix will work for you, but be very very careful with registry edits, software updates, and so forth.

If it works at all now, then live with the slowness until it fully breaks down, or run the risk of digging a deeper hole.

If you'd like a reliable, easy to work with hardware HMI platform then switch to Red Lion. Free software, immediate accurate support, and there is nothing I can imagine doing with a PV+ that a G3 can't do faster, easier, and reliably.

Good Luck!
Paul

Google is no help. It does give some returns indicating that some answers have been in the knowledge base. I did sign into the KB, but apparently anything useful seems to have been carefully removed by the AB people. At least on the free side, and I'll be d*mn*d if I cross their palms with silver and gold.

Dunno if RL is available here, I'll take a look.

Last edited:
I have techcoonect. I can search later for you.

EDIT:
1) RSViewME 3.0: They recommend performing a repair of the RSView ME software (Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, RSView ME, Support Information, Repair)

2)...ummm, looks like that's the only one with that specific text "HMI Tags Configuration Access".

EDIT
2) Software hangs for up to 20 minutes when opening application:
Shut down Machine Edition project and shut down RSLinx Classic.

Open a windows explorer and find the folder c:\program files\Rockwell software\rscommon
Delete the files named Harmony.rsh and the Harmony.hrc

Reboot PC and try opening a ME project again.

Paul

Last edited:
None of those helped, neither did completely removing and reinstalling RSView. But thanks for the effort 🍻(y) I also ran FT repair, with no result.

Watching in taskmanager I have it narrowed down to TagSvr.exe, keeping the CPU at 99%. Just can't figure what it's waiting for.

If you're using any HMI tags, you might try exporting your tags, then delete them all, then re-import them.

If that doesn't help and you're using direct references, you might need to inspect all of them to make sure that you don't have a syntax issue with a tag reference or something like that holding things up. I would try the HMI tags first (if used).

These are wags, but who knows?

Paul

If it were my system, I would start by looking in the FactoryTalk Diagnostics Viewer to see if any problems are being reported by the tag server.

The installation of UltraVNC might not have been harmless; RSView SE uses a lot of components related to Internet Explorer and the Internet Information Server. The installation of a software program that tunes firewalls and network settings to its own purposes might affect RSView adversely. This is more likely if it's a Distributed system, but connections to the Localhost are still done with the same services.

When I encounter an RSView SE 4.0 system that I need to work on, I start by manually backing up the RSView SE application and the FactoryTalk system, doing a virus scan and repair, creating a System Restore Point, deploying a set of Windows patches (especially the DCOM108 patch) and patching the RSView SE servers and clients with a Patch Roll Up.

At that point I know that I can start looking for a current or systemic problem, instead of fighting an issue that probably already has been solved or patched.

You're welcome to pursue a strategy of complaint and ridicule. Those don't work well for me.

Thanks for all the hints. Some other issues with some apps pointed to Windows itself having its wires crossed. It's pretty odd when opening a file starts up the HP Imaging installer, stuff like that. Rolling back didn't help, so I just nuked the whole thing and am reinstalling from scratch. Of course Dell included the wrong driver CD in the package, so I'm looking at a long time downloading and setting things up.

If it were my system, I would start by looking in the FactoryTalk Diagnostics Viewer to see if any problems are being reported by the tag server.

Good advice.

You're welcome to pursue a strategy of complaint and ridicule. Those don't work well for me.

I sincerely apologize for bashing FTView again. I have overdone it. In the future I will try to keep to the facts and omit opinions.

Paul