MSG between ML1100 and SLC5/03

Erik vdH

A supplier is looking at fitting an SLC 5/03 with a NET-ENI module. I have seen this often, it is usually for Ethernet "enabling" an older PLC often for HMI communications.

Is it possible to use this for PLC-to-PLC communication as well, in this case to set up a MSG instruction between it and the Ethernet port of a Micrologix 1100?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts....

I'm not 100% sure if you can read the ML1100 from the SLC 5/03 (never tried it), but you can certainly write to (and read from) the SLC 5/03 from the ML1100. Just set up the MSG instruction in the ML1100 like you would to read/write another ML1100, but use the IP address of the 1761-NET-ENI

I'm not 100% sure if you can read the ML1100 from the SLC 5/03 (never tried it), but you can certainly write to (and read from) the SLC 5/03 from the ML1100. Just set up the MSG instruction in the ML1100 like you would to read/write another ML1100, but use the IP address of the 1761-NET-ENI

I don't think that's true. As of about a year ago, the ML1100 did not support message instructions. This may have changed since, but I doubt it.

I'm not sure either if you can set the SLC 5/03 to message to or from the ML1100, but I would think that you could.

I don't think that's true. As of about a year ago, the ML1100 did not support message instructions. This may have changed since, but I doubt it.

I'm not sure either if you can set the SLC 5/03 to message to or from the ML1100, but I would think that you could.

I've been using ML1100 for longer than a year and the've always supported MSG instructions. There are at least six in our plant now, on an Ethernet network, plus one that's also a Modbus master that uses MSG to communicate with Modbus slaves. I think your information is dated. Perhaps you're confusing the ML1100 with the ML1000? Big difference!

I've been using ML1100 for longer than a year and the've always supported MSG instructions. There are at least six in our plant now, on an Ethernet network, plus one that's also a Modbus master that uses MSG to communicate with Modbus slaves. I think your information is dated. Perhaps you're confusing the ML1100 with the ML1000? Big difference!

Hmm, It looks like you're right. It must have been a couple of years ago when I last tried. I know at that time we were going to do Ethernet/IP messaging from a ML1100, but we couldn't because the 1100 didn't support Ethernet messaging (confirmed by AB tech support at that time). I ended up having to do everything from a SLC 5/05 master with a lot of ladder logic to keep things running slow enough that it wouldn't run out of connections.

The Routing Information File part of the MSG instruction is all new to me.

I use multiple NET ENI's (hooked to SLC 5/03's) in our plant to write to and read from a CLX through ethernet, so I'm not sure why it would be any different for a ML1100. Our message instructions are set up in the CLX though, I've never tried it the other way around.

It is quite possible, also not too hard. Search the AB knowledge base, plenty of info there on explicit e/net comms from the module you're describing.