Sensor application

wdd0422

I have a application where I'd like to fill a resiviour with a heavy viscosity blue ink. Is anybody familiar with type of sensors used for this material (for tank level)? I was thinking of a paddle wheel type. I am concerned about the ink buildup.

Thanks

If your worried about buildup on the sensor I would use an ultrasonic sensor. Normaly I would stay away from ultrasonics for liquids but since you say it's thick and viscous the ultrasonic shoild work great.

Thanks but are you saying buildup on the ultrasonic sensor itself will not effect it's accuracy?

Thanks again

Thanks but are you saying buildup on the ultrasonic sensor itself will not effect it's accuracy?
The ultrasonic sensor is non-contact. It mounts above the tank and points down at the liquid.

Ultrasonic would be my first choice also, unless the 'level' was a function of volume in which case a weight would be preferred and a tare could adjust for build up.

Ultrasonic would be my first choice also, unless the 'level' was a function of volume in which case a weight would be preferred and a tare could adjust for build up.

depend of the precision required, ultrasonic are good and easy to work with, it mesure the height of the reflective surface to the sensor mounting level (most can be configured with range and bias etc) but weighting it, would probably give more precision if you can mount the probe at he bottom in the ink and if the bottom level move enought to avoid build up...

I have a application where I'd like to fill a resiviour with a heavy viscosity blue ink.
Thanks

I have seen a gesso painting line where they used a ultrasonic sensor to sense the level, and to get the product uniformly level they used a vibrator on the container.

Gesso is a paint pretreatment. When not vibrated or disturbed it can be stacked about like peanut butter. But when vibrated it is about like warm Miracle Whip.