Crimson 3 ModbusTCP in IEC format

GeoffC

Hi all

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up the ModbusTCP driver in Crimson 3 to use the iec standard format (%MWx) rather than the old style (4x). As all the new Schneider plcs and any other iec compliant devices now use the %MW format.

And yes I know how to convert from old to iec. But I don't think it is acceptable to try and tell a customer that the address in the plc and the touchscreen, although different is really the same

For those of us who do Modbus, but aren't familiar with this issue, could you explain what

iec standard format (%MWx) rather than the old style (4x)

means?

Modbus traditional addressing is in the form 4000x for words and 0000x for bits. This corresponded with Modicons addressing scheme for the old x84 plcs.
But now with the iec standard, registers are addressed as %MWx and bits are addressed as %Mx. All the current Modicon (Schneider) plcs use this %MW %M scheme. And I'm sure any other iec compliant system also does.
So there is probably no current plcs (or at least very few) using the old style 4000x numbering scheme, but this seems to be the only scheme supported by a lot of the hmi manufacturers.

Modbus traditional addressing is in the form 4000x for words and 0000x for bits. This corresponded with Modicons addressing scheme for the old x84 plcs.
But now with the iec standard, registers are addressed as %MWx and bits are addressed as %Mx. All the current Modicon (Schneider) plcs use this %MW %M scheme. And I'm sure any other iec compliant system also does.
So there is probably no current plcs (or at least very few) using the old style 4000x numbering scheme, but this seems to be the only scheme supported by a lot of the hmi manufacturers.

There are very many devices that still use the "old style" numbering system - I run across them every day. Honeywell uses it, Eaton uses it for their switchgear as does Schneider for their switchgear. There are commercial HVAC systems that use it also. A number of VFD manufacturers use it also. In fact, I had never heard of the "new style" addressing scheme. I guess it is because I never use Modicon PLCs.

Either way, I doubt the "old style" is going away any time soon.

I'm not suggesting it should go away I'm merely advocating the iec format should be supported

And I did say plcs, I am aware that most switchgear uses the 4000x style

Ever heard of Siemens, GE or Codesys - they use the iec format addressing

I'm not suggesting it should go away I'm merely advocating the iec format should be supported

And I did say plcs, I am aware that most switchgear uses the 4000x style

Ever heard of Siemens, GE or Codesys - they use the iec format addressing

I've heard of them, just haven't used them.

Honeywell uses the "old style" in their HC900 (a loop and logic controller similar to a PLC) and in all of their single and dual loop controllers. I'm pretty sure that Automation Direct uses the "old style" when they do Modbus.

I agree that if the "new style" is common, then HMI manufacturers *should* support it. I use the Redlion G3xx and DSPxx series of HMIs and Gateways almost exclusively and I can just about guarantee that if they don't support the "new style" addressing already, they will as soon as there is enough demand.

In the USA, though, the only thing you *have* to support is Allen-Bradley and Modbus RTU and TCP - that is if you want to sell anything.

Searching back to June 2005 (five year span), there are 8 threads at Modbus.org (whose owner has some affiliation with whomever it is that owns Modbus Plus nowadays) with MW in the posts.

The threads involve Unity Pro, Monitor Pro, Schneider, Premium Telemechanique, Twido, TSX (Micro)PLC. That collection of brand names does not scream "universal" to me. Very company-centric.

I checked out Prosoft's site because they do Modbus Plus bridges. Prosoft has a PTQ-101M, described as an IEC 60870-5-101 Master Network Interface Module for Quantum.
Description:
Prosoft's IEC 60870-5-101 Master Network Interface Module for Quantum allows Quantum compatible processors to interface easily with IEC 60870-5-101 slave (controlled unit) devices. Typical applications for this protocol include power distribution, water treatment, lighting systems for highways, etc. Originally developed for the Power Utility industry, the IEC 60870-5 protocols are very similar in function to DNP 3.0. Both protocols offer "Report by Exception" functionality and dating of events (time stamping).

It likewise uses that %MW form of addresssing, From Prosoft's manual, IEC 60870-5-101 Master Communication Module, page 115:
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/download/13716/178711/file
Note: The diagram above shows the memory addresses for a Quantum processor. If you are deploying the PTQ-101M with a Unity processor, substitute %MW for read only data, and %IW for read/write data.

2a2bf9.jpg