Ethernet 5/05 issues??? Allen Bradley

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hello everyone....

I have a L552 series C that is having issues with the Ethernet port, I configured the CPU (with the serial) but when I try to see it with the Ethernet nothing, I have tried to ping it and still no luck

Same subnet and have configured many before so I do not think its anything I am doing or have done, I do NOT get the ENET led to do anything, my router lights up like its hooked up and sees it but still nothing

Any ideas?

11111111.jpg 2222222.JPG

Are you connected directly to the 5/05? Are you using a crossover cable? You do not have Auto negociate selected so I think you need a cross over to make it talk.

Thanks Clay... but no luck

Now with the auto negotiate selected (after I cycled power) the router does not light up???

Still the ENET led does nothing

You may have already tried this but.

Set your Computer to 192.168.1.111
Leave the PLC at 192.168.1.110

Set up these 2 in a new ethernet profile in RS Link

Plug in a crossover cable and Ping the PLC. If you can not even ping this way then I would serisously suspect the port is hosed.

Also look at your new profile and make sure both objects show up.

you have to make all Ethernet IP addresses (PC and PLC)with the same class like Mr. Clay B. say and use crossover Ethernet cable if you are connected directly from your PC to PLC or you have to use Direct cables if you use any Ethernet switches.

the easiest way is make your PC IP address by 192.168.1.111 and use EthernetIP driver from Rslinx to sea all IP addresses on the network

So I have tried a few different ways... but nothing, yes Paul it will hook up with the serial and I have check the config and it all looks to be good, only the one screen correct?

The only difference from a working 5/05 is the config screen is not grayed out... like I am able to make changes and the other is grayed out so nothing can be changed

The led flashes like a L551 that I have thats working, but after the boot this one does not go solid

I could not ping it even using a cross over cable

Anyone know if you can disable the port in the S2 file??

Can you flash them?? would this help

Hey, GIT! Set up with a crossover cable that's proven to work on a good ethernet device, and use wireshark to prove that you're sending data to it.

If you don't already have wireshark, trust me, download it right now. Just run it after a standard install and it will give you a list of ethernet devices to monitor.

Shutdown your internet connection and any unnecesary drivers in RSLinx and just look at unfiltered traffic first.

If you see ENIP packets flowing out the wire and nothing coming back, then you can give up on it (unless controlflash works on the daughtercard).

I might also try this test with the ethernet port set to fixed speed and slow. I believe that the firmware can be upgraded in the 5/05 to support features that an older series daughtercard cannot support. If that's the case, search here for 5/05, firmware, by Ken Roach or rtfm for the config specs for the older firmware.

I am on Green Acres internet with a win7 laptop that is suffering from amnesia, so I can't open jack squit, not even pdfs...but luckily, this tight website runs p.d.q. even at TRS-80 acoustic modem speeds...

Last edited:
Thanks Paul,

I searched and it looks like I need to buy the firmware kit for the upgrade

It looks like the card was upgraded in the past by someone... it has a label over the orginal 1747-OS501C10

Is the firmware working? RUN Mode I/O, etc.?

G.I.T said:
...it looks like I need to buy the firmware kit for the upgrade

It looks like the card was upgraded in the past by someone... it has a label over the orginal 1747-OS501C10

Not so fast...

AFAIK, you can upgrade the SLC firmware no problem, to take advantage of new instructions and features, but if you do that, you must not choose settings for the ethernet port that are not supported by the hardware.(<-EDIT).

I don't recall if its still possible to use RSLogix 500 to choose settings that are unsupported by the daughter card rev. level, or if that value gets overwritten by a firmware upgrade, making it possible to choose 100Mb/s and thereby disabling the port. I wouldn't be surprised if the daughtercard rev level system register came into existence with the newer firmware, thereby making it impossible for Logix to tell the difference...

Rockwell has recommended to us to set the 5/05s on our FTViewSE sytems as well as the switch ports they're connected to, fixed baud (turn of autonegotiate) fixed duplex.

IIRC, 10Mb/sec, half duplex, I can't remember if full duplex in supported in the older daughtercard.

I once worked on one in that condition that ran just fine. I think it was upgraded (firmware) just to get the DEM (devicenet explicit message) instruction, or some other value, but we found out after downloading a file with full duplex or 100Mb/s, and having to go back in serially to put it back.

I have also seen them die a slow death twice, and a fast death many times.

I am now reducing my odds that a PIC did it in to 30%, since there's evidence of a firmware upgrade, and I haven't seen your channel settings, or confirmed physical media connection.

You can always throw a digi on it (Digi One IAP Haz.)

MORE EDIT:I have also seen one go fubar after having it's IP address changed. It effectively doubled the number of connections that were being made by other devices on the network, exceeded the limit, and went into timeout mode. 30 minutes later it would have started talking, but after fifteen minutes I got off my butt and went out there and power cycled it.

I had already used the built in web page to see the connection limit was exceeded which was corrected by the power cycle, by then, the old connections were dropped and it ran fine.

So you've already ruled out the connections exceeded possibilty unless its doing lots of comms on a network during your tests.

After you rule out the physical connection and verify your PC port works, ring the dinner bell and call it done.

Last edited:
Mark said:
So I have tried a few different ways... but nothing, yes Paul it will hook up with the serial and I have check the config and it all looks to be good, only the one screen correct?
Two screens.

Look on the general screen, i think it's called.

Mark said:
Two screens.

Look on the general screen, i think it's called.

Thanks Paul

I will try more later today, I just don't think its dead and would hate to send it to be repaired for something simple

Dead....

We tried to flash the card, the bad part is you can not flash over the serial port only the Ethernet port... so when your Ethernet port is not responding ~ no flash ~ DEAD

Thanks anyway