DeviceNet Question

shoelesscraig

I am interested in modifying an existing DeviceNet network that we have in our plant, as well as creating a new network for another project. I currently do not have a DeviceNet adapter card for the PC that I use at work (the PC has a PCMCIA card slot on it). Is this something that I absolutely have to have?

The processors that will be used, both on the old system I want to modify and the new one I want to build, are SLC 5/05s. I heard that I could talk to the DeviceNet network through the ethernet port on the SLC 5/05. Is this true, or just a nasty rumor? Basically, I need to know if I need a DeviceNet card or if I already have all I need. I have NetWorx for DeviceNet as well.

A direct interface to the DeviceNet network is a very good tool to have when you are dealing with DeviceNet networks and non-ControlLogix family controllers, including PLC-5, SLC-500, and MicroLogix 1500.

There is a 1747-SDNPT Passthrough driver that can be configured with 1747-SDN scanners v4.015 and later. It is slow, slow, slow. I usually only use it when the alternative is a long drive or plane ride.

The 1784-PCD card is no longer being manufactured, but I use mine a lot. The 1770-KFD is still made, but the best direct-to-the-network DeviceNet interface for use with RSNetworx and A-B controllers is the USB/DeviceNet interface, the 1784-U2DN.

the best direct-to-the-network DeviceNet interface for use with RSNetworx and A-B controllers is the USB/DeviceNet interface, the 1784-U2DN.
I second that. I tried the passthrough feature on the 1747 scanner and it was nothing but trouble. Broke down and bought the 1784-U2DN, and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

So, with ControlLogix, you do not need this interface to the DeviceNet network? I'm assuming that you can do the programming and setup for the network thru the embedded tools in Logix 5k?

With ControlLogix-family controllers, you usually interface with the DeviceNet by bridging through a backplane from a higher-level network, like over EtherNet/IP -> backplane -> 1756-DNB -> DeviceNet.

Configuration of scanners and slave devices is still done with RSNetworx for DeviceNet, but the access to the network seldom requires a direct interface.

I still use the 1784-PCD and 1784-U2DN, but that's because I am often working on large and complex networks doing troubleshooting, testing, and tuning. My favorite interface is the 1784-U2DN with the Frontline Test Equipment NetDecoder suite of protocol analysis software.