how do you guys backup ?

bornwild

hey everyone

Just wanted to ask you guys how do you all back up things. I mean like rslinx drivers, rslogix etc. I have seen that my plant often has breakdown with computers which refuse to start because of overheating and other stuff.So just wanted to know the easiest way to back up the hmi software and the drivers.Also, it would be great if someone throw light on rslinx drivers backup.I think it is a good option in rslinx. Is it reliable? Looking for some good answers. Btw I am fresh engg so please be clear.

We back up our RSLogix project files manually from our laptops to our plant server when ever mods are done.

To keep PC downtime to a minimum, our IT dept. will ghost the hard drives as soon as all the software is installed. This works very well for getting a repaired or new PC up and running with all your software. Yes we have ghosted hard drives for all our PC's sitting in a cabinet in our IT dept.

Our air quality is hard on PC's, espically the hard drives.

Hello,

do you maybe know which ghost software you IT department is using ?

when it comes to "backup" project data, we are very happy with version control SVN in combination with Tortoise-SVN. SVN Software is a genius...:) I really would not like to use any other backup procedure anymore.

br
bb

Has anyone tried backing up and recovering by acronis. I have backed up the whole compter yesterday. I am not sure if i would restore I would get back rslogix and activation.

Has anyone tried backing up and recovering by acronis. I have backed up the whole compter yesterday. I am not sure if i would restore I would get back rslogix and activation.

Acronis works a lot like Norton ghost, it creates an image file. You can write the image file direct to disk (write MBR etc) or do a p2v (physical to virtual) and mount it in VMWare.

Since it basically takes an image of the entire disk, you will not lose your activation. I know this works with RS500 and Siemens S7, didn't have 5000 installed at that time.

FWIW anytime I build anything PC based I always image the drive(s) prior to shipping. That way if the disks die out in the field, its as simple as dumping the image onto a new disk, swap the disk and you are up and running.

Last edited:
We use BackupExec here.

Backups run once a week and you can usually restore to dissimilar hardware if you have the correct drivers.

Works pretty well.

Used to ghost the drives, but that ended up not doing us much good when the hardware changed and it wouldn't boot.

We use BackupExec here.
Used to ghost the drives, but that ended up not doing us much good when the hardware changed and it wouldn't boot.

That is a super common complaint. Sometimes you can run sysprep and image after running. I've also heard of people uninstalling the disk controllers and then imaging

the backups i made was 2 brand new installed laptops with everything installed and activated so i simply did a image with acronis so things will go smooth and fast when the computers are getting slow. Easy peasy.

Allthough plc programs are stored on a server that IT department backup every week or so.

We use BackupExec here.

Backups run once a week and you can usually restore to dissimilar hardware if you have the correct drivers.

Works pretty well.

yes i do need to restore on a different hd. Btw what do you mean by correct drivers?

the backups i made was 2 brand new installed laptops with everything installed and activated so i simply did a image with acronis so things will go smooth and fast when the computers are getting slow. Easy peasy.

Allthough plc programs are stored on a server that IT department backup every week or so.

yes it is easy to restore data on same pc but what if the hd dies. How to restore everything to new hd

We also use "Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Desktop Edition" (used to be called Livestate Recovery but they keep changing the name) the IT guys are probably more familiar with the Server version but this "Desktop" version is designed to backup PC workstations over the network.

We have used this for several years to backup our WonderWare PCs with few problems.

If you have a failure, you can boot a new PC from a Cd and then restore the entire hard drive (Our IT guys lease our PCs and change them out every 3 years so, I have a little experience using this software to install hard drive images on different hardware and it works fine.)

A little trick to accelerate change driver is to use the Backup and Restore, the first series of RSLinx to working with ICP, for instance, make a backup and called CIP. Setting up RSLinx DF1 to use, then make a backup, and call DF1. You can then use the restore function to quickly change settings, simply stop the RSLinx server first. Of course, you can name the files that match and do as you wish permitir. PS shortcut for restoring Backup is RSLinx Start Menu.

yes i do need to restore on a different hd. Btw what do you mean by correct drivers?

If you are restoring to a completely different set of hardware(new motherboard, etc), BackupExec will give you the option to "Restore Anywhere" and one of the things it will ask for is the drivers for the new hardware. Specifically the drive controllers and network controllers.