Convert an ENBT I/O tree to EN2T: how?

mumbo78

I have an existing project where the I/O racks and a couple of HMI's are updating their data through a 1756-ENBT. The original project did not use Rack Optimization, which I changed today, successfully. However, the client has purchased a 1756-EN2T to improve the throughput for the addition of another rack and two Powerflex 70 drives to the I/O treee under the parent scanner. How do I (easily) convert the child structure under the parent module from an ENBT to an EN2T?

Thanks for any helpful suggestions/answers.

In RSLogix 5000 v17 there is a "Change Type" button in the configuration applet for the originator 1756-ENBT, but on my particular installation there are no options populated in the drop-down list. I presume this feature is intended to address the exact circumstance you describe.

A quick and dirty mechanism is to disable Electronic Keying; I don't recommend it because Electronic Keying is an important feature for integrity and reliability of the system.

What I've done before is to create a new "scanner" module in another slot of the backplane, and drag-and-drop or Copy/Paste all the child objects in the I/O tree from one network to the other.

Then go back and delete all the original child objects, delete the original "scanner" 1756-ENBT, and then change the Slot Number for the new 1756-EN2T.

The only circumstance that wouldn't work on is a totally full 17-slot rack, which is uncommon.

Yes, I saw the "Change Type" button, and I had the same drop-down list that you did, namely, none.

Here's what I ended up doing:

I created a dummy EN2T in my offline file, and then I saved it as an .L5K text file. Then I found the EN2T module and compared it to the ENBT that I wanted to replace, then replaced the appropriate strings in the ENBT with the correct strings from the EN2T, then deleted the dummy EN2T, and imported the whole thing back into an .ACD file. It worked great.

you then deleted the ENBT?

I'm having a similar issue where I have a system with qty 2 1756-ENBT/A's One of the used to be communication with another machine down the line. It's no longer being used and is disconnected. therefore, the little light in RS logix says "I/O Not Responding" Easy solution right, pull the unused card? however, I can't delete it from the I/O configuration tree?(the option is greyed out) so, it still shows in slot 10 where it used to be and the little green light continues to blink.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

Delete all the sub connections that are configured to that Ethernet card first. Then delete the Ethernet card. Warning: If you delete any configured cards under the Ethernet Card that are tied to Tags in your Program then you will need to remove those tags also. If any of those tags are used in your program logic then those rungs will go into edit mode and you will not be able to download because Verification will show errors. ( Undefined Tags )

Howdy, jglenwestra, and welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Evidently I'm still here nine years later.... :)

The simple thing to handle that nuisance blinking I/O LED is to Inhibit the 1756-ENBT and/or the downstream I/O connections. You can do that online using the "Inhibit" checkbox in the Connections tab for the module in the Controller Organizer I/O tree.

If you've got a very old firmware/software running (they're 1756-ENBT Series A, after all) you might not be able to add or delete I/O connections at runtime. But you can always Inhibit them.

Thanks guys,

I was trying to delete while offline and it still didn't work. Even the sub connections had the delete command greyed out. However, inhibiting the connection did the trick and now it says "I/O OK" Now, I have devicenet issues... I'll find a more relevant thread to ask in.

Looking to see if anyone has done a migration from Rockwell PLC-5. How’d it gone? Who did you pick as replacement? or converting files it What were some lessons learned in the migration process?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community, Adam.

That's a very broad question, and not really related to the previous thread (which was itself nearly a decade old).

To create a new thread for your discussion, go the main PLCTalk Q&A page, and click the big green "Start a new thread" button that is above the thread summary frame.

Most PLC-5 conversions stay within the Rockwell platform, and there are various hardware and software considerations. There are also tools and documents from RA to get you started.

When you start your new thread, provide an overview of the scope and contents of the PLC-5 control system, like the model of controller, the number of I/O racks, connections to drives or servos, networking to other controllers or HMI, etc.

Again, welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !