OPC and Micrologix 1100 over ethernet

Michal_dk

Hi Guys!

I have a small system consisting of 3 weights each with a ML1100. The ML1100 is communicating with the weights via serial connections.
See this thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=55474

I need to get the statistics to an excel spreadsheet, this is no problem - as long as you have the appropriate RSLinx license installed. Now I use the Gateway and I can upload and download to all the ML1100.
Now my problem is that I didn't calculate the price for the OEM version for the computer that will actually need those data, is there a free OPC server (or at least a cheap one) that can do the job?

I'm testing the Matricon OPC server at the moment, but it seems to freeze when I try to apply the settings. And it is not for free when you look at the license agreement :cry:

Best regards,

Michal

Well ended up with the RSLinx OEM, works like a dream.

I had a tech from Matricon on the phone and we tried for about 2 hours before he had to give up. The problem seems to be that I needed a nother piece of software to do the actual communication and this changed the price to about that of the RSLinx OEM. But I did find out that both (Matricon and RSLinx) systems didn't like the 64 bit system on the terminal server.

So installed office and RSLinx on the laptop itself and all data are now flowing.

Hi Jesper!

Yes, that's why I told my customer that he had to pay for the Single Node :(. But Single Node does not support multiple connections o_O.
At the moment I have only one connection and it would have worked, but they have "almost" given the order for two more systems (y).
I actually had a talk with one of the danish Rockwell experts on RSLinx (Erik something) and he had conducted some tests and even thou you do not use all the connections (I only use one at a time) it will not work in Single Node. In the product description it states that you can use the Single Node for one ACTIVE connection, and this would suggest that having multiple was OK as long as you didn't activate more than one at a time. So I had to go for the OEM version, but luckily the customer was OK with the encreased price.

But Rockwell Engineers are also humans, so if it is possible to use the Single Node on multiple PLC's I'd really like some pointers :geek:

Michal_dk

If there's an HMI on the equipment, switch it out to a Red Lion G3. It can create .csv files and FTP them anywhere on the network, and just might cost less money than the HMI you are using.

I have a checkweigher project in progress that is recording the barcode, timestamp, and weight of 10,000 cases per day and will hold about 4000 days worth on the 2gig compacflash! I haven't set up the FTP end yet, once the scale gets installed and debugged, I will negotiate with my IT dept on how to get them all that data.

If there's an HMI on the equipment, switch it out to a Red Lion G3. It can create .csv files and FTP them anywhere on the network, and just might cost less money than the HMI you are using.

I have a checkweigher project in progress that is recording the barcode, timestamp, and weight of 10,000 cases per day and will hold about 4000 days worth on the 2gig compacflash! I haven't set up the FTP end yet, once the scale gets installed and debugged, I will negotiate with my IT dept on how to get them all that data.

Yikes that is alot of writes to a compact flash. I would make sure I have a stack of new cards.

I have just reowrked our base HMI program and pushed even more code over to the Red Lion. It is impressive how much those things will do.