Magelis Replacement

TundraYeti

Hello all! I am attempting to replace an old magelis unit with a newer ez automation 10" touchscreen. I have used these in the past with greaqt results with Allen Bradley PLC's. I am now trying to connect this screen to a Modicon tsx p 572623 using the same modicon Uni Telway driver that the magelis screen did. The HMI is not communicating with the PLC. I have checked all my cables and the hardware and software and everything seems to be working. The tech support guys at EZ Automation have been helpful but even they could not figure this out. We are considering using MODBUS RTU but I have no idea where to change that in PL7 pro. If anyone has gotten these units to work together please help

You can change the old magelis to new ones from schnieder. If you ask the schnieder representative you can get him to load the program from the old magelis to the new software - here is the clever bit - Now you have the project and all the coms changed to the industry standard modbus. The software will tell you how to set up your ez - as most touchscreens nowadays are similar with most drivers u just need the correct settings. I have changed old to new but not to another make so sorry if not that useful.

Well basically I'm stuck with what I have. EZ Automation's tech support guys are stumped, and so am I. The problem I am having with Uni Telway is that the two units just aren't communicating. all the settings are correct. The baud rates match as well as parity. This is only serial communication so it's not that difficult, I cannot figure out why these two machines won't talk. I can easily change the program on the HMI to accommodate Modbus I have no clue how to do it on the PLC. I have been looking at PL7 pro for a few hours now and I can't seem to find where to change the protocol to modbus. All i can find is a dropdown with the Uni Telway protocol and another called character mode link.

Good one - some one must know more about PL7 - come on guru's
Sorry mate my only suggestion is to google uni Telway and make sure the cable is correct last option as you have done all the other things baud, parity etc. maybe rx to tx is swopped ...... ground not same Ummmm

Are you using the ethernet port on the cpu already. if not use that for comms (thats if the screen does ethernet).
If you want to use modbus then your gonna need a modbus card that plugs into the cpu (pcmcia card). Other than that i cant help as i dont know the screen at all

Well after much troubleshooting and even talking to Scheider, I have narrowed it down to one small area. I truly believe that the Uni-telway driver is not working. I have tried all the slave addresses left on the PLC. 0 is the master, 1-3 are reserved for programming, so that leaves 4-8, since i have 8 slaves total on the uni-telway bus on the PLC. This has been very frustrating and I figured I could use the screen elsewhere since they connect well with AB. Now i can't even connect with the unit over serial port. I know it's not my port or my cable so it must be the HMI. Thanks for all the input, I am signing off on this one. If anyone has suggestions on another unit, please let me know. Worse case scenario I have to convince the higher ups to bite the bullet and just get a newer Magelis.