Citect Alarm Filtering

zankorel

Hi All,

I have a question for those citect gurus out there.

I have been trying to develop an automatic alarm filtering system in citect for ages now and i just cant get it to work properly. I want the actual filter keywords to depend on the user that is logged in.

Has anyone done this? It seems a basic requirement for a HMI, but Citect's alarm system is bewildering.

My basic trouble stems from not being able to change the alarms appearing when the user has view access to an area, as i have some users that can view all areas.

To compensate for that, I have been trying to use AlarmSetQuery() function to filter based on the Custom Alarm fields, with varying results. I just cannot get it to work reliably. It does not appear to be persistent, which means you have to call it on every page you open, but when you add it to a template, it goes haywire.

Well, as usual, im pushing the boundaries of Citect :)

For those who might be interested, Citect's ancient alarm management system has made any decent way of filtering alarms impossible. I ended up allocating unique areas to each group of alarms and then assigning that group to the users i wanted to see the alarms.

Not very elegant, but the only way that works. im told that it is very likely that a brand new alarm system will be introduced in v8.

Hey Zankorel,

You are right that alarm filtering is not easy in citect, and plans are in place to improve it. maybe v8 but it has been postponed. first there will be a verison 7.3.

But the functionality you want is possible with the current version of citect. You can use the function AlarmSetQuery and show the alarms you want. I admit using the function requires a good understanding of the alarm system.

Regards,

Marsupilami