PCIx to PCI

Pam

Hi, I am here again.

Now, I have a communication trouble.

1. We have a Dell Server PowerEdge. That server has only PCIx slots.
2. We have a 1784-PKTX. We need to plug the 1784-PKTX to the PCIx, but
PCIx use 3.3V and PKTX 5 V. Another thing, the connectors are differents.

Do you know about an adapter? Or
Do you have another idea to establish a communication to my PLC5/11?

I will appreciate your help

Pam

the KTX is plain old ISA..not compatible with PCI slots. I am not aware of any adapters. Get an older PC from IS or wherever and use that, speed isnt essential using a KTX so wont matter what PC.

rsdoran,
pam said it was a PKTX.

I remember there was a thread before about this particular problem.
Dont care to search for it, the conclusion was that PKTX will only work on a 5V PCI bus.
The PKTX also also have limits to the speed of the FSB (front side bus).

Only solution for you, pam: another computer with 5V PCI slots.

I think that the PKTX needs an update, or how about a DH+ module on USB ? Now that would be nice. It could replace both the PCMK and the PKTX (edit: and the KF2).

I know that A-B is redesigning the PKTX card to be a Universal PCI card, that supports both 3.3V and 5V buses. I don't know when that project is slated to be complete.

I didn't think there was a physical difference between 3.3v and 5V PCI slots, just an electrical difference. Can somebody in the know enlighten me on what "PCIx" is ?

Dell PowerEdge is a remarkably skinny physical platform... they really aren't meant to have very many peripherals besides their Ethernet ports, which is why they are so darn low-profile.

Pam may need to get a computer that can host the 1784-PKTX, get a PCI/PCMCIA adapter and use a 1784-PCMK, or use a hardware gateway (1756-ENET and 1756-DHRIO) to get to the DH+ network.

We had a similar situation using Yokogawa VL net cards. Their VL net cards are PCI, but not PCIx. Unfortunately we could not find an adapter and had to get a different computer. If anyone knows of a way around this problem, I'd love to hear it.

Jim

Adapter

I found an adapter card, PCIX to PCI. But I can't see my 1784-PKTX

if you want to see it:
www.getcatalyst.com the model is PCIBX32-X

well, we tried the follow:

1. An adapter USB to PCMCI and one PCMK. Didn't work

Thank you for your help.

Pam

Pam,

thats not a bad idea, to use the PCMK card in stead of the PCI.

I once saw a PCMCIA adapter that would install in a stationary PC.
It can be hard to find now, as that adapter was a little esoteric, and everything is USB nowadays.
But it is worth a try.

Good luck.