Free DeviceNet Configuration Tool

gsm1234

Hi,

I am developing a deviceNet stack. One of the basic requirement is to have the DeviceNet configuration tool required for adding devices to Master's scan list, and populating the scan list with Slaves information ( this is available in EDS) and perform scan operation.

I am looking for Free DeviceNet configuration tool which will support above requirement.

Request all, pl. let me know from where I can download the DeviceNet configuration tool.

Thanks,
gsm

I have looked and found nothing. When I was working with DeviceNet I had to purchase RSNetworx for about $1500.

Thanks TheStarr for prompt reply.

Some one told me I cannot use RsNetworks, since I am not using AB's (Allen Bradley's) deviceNet devices during development and will not be using them during testing also. I am developing a stack on powerPC with one CAN port.

1) Is RSNetworks a general purpose configuration tool?

2) What are the connection methodes required for using RSNetworks tool, I mean do we need a serial port or ethernet port or USB port for connecting the RSNetworks installed PC to the DeviceNet Master and slaves?

3) If you have any link(website) to clear my understanding of RSNetworks or DeviceNet configuration tool usage would be helpful.

Request all, pl. correct my understanding and reply to above 2 queries.

Thanks,
gsm

Sorry, I live in an AB world. I forget sometimes that others don't!

RSNetworx only works with AB software as far as I know. Outside of that, my experience is limited.

Are you developing a slave device, or a "scanner", or a communications adapter device ?

In my experience, there is no such thing as a generic scanner, so there is no such thing as a generic scanner configuration tool.

Most scanner manufacturers provide (at various prices) a configuration tool that works with their scanner. That is true of system providers like Rockwell and Emerson, as well as interface, component, and tool providers like IXXAT, Hilscher, HMS Fieldbus, and Softing.

Many scanners license the DeviceNet Master Library (DML) from Rockwell Automation, which implements a DeviceNet Master with a well-defined scanlist object, and therefore allows the popular RSNetworx for DeviceNet software to configure that scanner.

Unless you are building this device only for internal use by your company, you absolutely have to join the ODVA and comply with the terms of use of the protocol specification, including conformance testing.

I'm not sure that it makes sense to avoid compatibility testing with the largest vendor in the market.

DeviceNet Configuration Tool

Thanks Ken for prompt reply.

I am developing a stack having both functionality Master and Slave.

What I infer from your reply, unless I use any of the scanner manufacturers device, I can not use their configuration tool.
Is my understanding correct??

>Many scanners license the DeviceNet Master Library (DML) from >Rockwell Automation, which implements a DeviceNet Master with >a well-defined scanlist object, and therefore allows the >popular RSNetworx for DeviceNet software to configure that >scanner.

From above statements, you mean, if I use licensed DML from Rockwell as a reference and develop my stack and maintain well-defined scanlist objects which are there in the DML, I can use RSNetworkx for my scanner. Is my understanding correct???

Thanks,
gsm

Your general understanding is correct. You should examine the product offerings from Softing, IXXAT, HMS, Hilscher, etc to see what they will provide.

RA's DML has been used in several successful devices; the HMS Anybus-X scanlist can be configured using RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

What is the purpose of your device ? Are you building it for general-purpose automation, for the semiconductor industry, or for in-house use at your company ?

Have you joined the ODVA and received a vendor ID and the DeviceNet Specification ?

DeviceNet Configuration Tool

Thanks Ken. I got tied up and couldn't replied to your queries the same day.

Our device purpose is general purpose.

>>RA's DML has been used in several successful devices; the HMS Anybus-X scanlist can be configured using RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

From your above reply, I understand that, if we use RA's DML as a reference and build our stack baced on that, we will be able to use RsNetworks with our device without any difficulty. Pl. correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
gsm

I don't know about "without any difficulty".

Have you joined the ODVA ? Do you intend to join the ODVA ?