CX-One headaches

Greetings all,

So, I'm trying to connect to a CPM2A using CX-Programmer version 8.3 (just ran the updates last night).

I'm using a cable USB-CIF02. This is a third party cable, basically a USB-RS485 convertor, to connect to the peripheral port. I don't want to use a 9-pin cable, because an HMI is plugged in there already.

All the cable drivers are in place, and when running auto-connect, I see LED signs of communication on the cable housing, and on the CPM2A. But - it never connects, and finally fails.

Tried the switch, both ways, no luck. Tried powering up while connected to the peripheral port - the PLC never goes into Run Mode, but won't talk either.

Out of ideas, anybody have any more? We bought this machine at a yard sale, so I don't have the PLC program for this. I need to connect to troubleshoot some problems with it. (Who'd have guessed? o_O )

Thanks,

TM

Here would be my suggestion.

Make sure the Comm switch next to the DB9 port is turned ON.
Then cycle power on the unit. This should set the ports to
standard comms HostLink (Sysmac Way) 9600, 7, 2, Even.

Now try to connect. The port will only be reset on power up.

If that does not work, try going into the DB9 port.
NOTE: This is NOT a standard cable. Omron pin assignment is not IBM standard.

This would be a temporary setup to pull out the program and verify the PLC Setting information.

Hope this will help.