PLC5-60 1794-ASB Adapter

felmed

Hello,
This is my problem and I expect that you´ll be interested . Actually I have the following network. One PLC5-40 Controller with a Plc5-remote IO module Scanner and now we want to add a Flex IO at the system. I´ve tried by every way to stablish a succesfull comunication with the Flex IO system but have been impossible. The Flex IO config is:
Rack 2: SW1 number 5 off all others on
Group0: Module 1794-ib16
Group1: Module 1794-ob16
Group2-5: Module 1794-ie12
Group 6: Module 1794-oe12
Size Rack: Full Rack
I don´t know why don´t communicate. If someone wants please fell free to contact me at [email protected] and I´ll send him the program, I hope you see something that I haven´t see a help me with this trouble.Thanks I really appreciate your help.

Hello felmed, and wecome to the forum.

If you zip your program(s) and attach them to a post, there are lots of folks here who can take a look.

This forum will only let you attach certain filetypes and .zip is one of them.

Also, it is wise to include firmware revision levels in your details. Case in point, the 1794-ASB has seen some changes to the functions of some of the dipswitches over the years, and we don't know if you're using a really old one or not.

Paul

Hi Paul,

And thanks for accept the call, I´ve read a lot of forums and you always have greats and usefull answers. I´ve attached two programs. In the Trampa560 you will found the program that I did but it doesn´t work. The Trampa program is the original program with the original processor type and where the final application will be placed. The trampa 560 uses a PLC5-60 given to us while we test and programming but that we have to return because the PLC5-40 can´t be removed from the control room and this is the processor that will load the application.

The 1794asb module is completely new, so the addressing should be the latest one.

Thanks A lot for your help and interest

There is a good DIP switch summary on page 2-11 of the 1794-ASB Series E User Manual, Rockwell Automation publication 1794-UM009.

Your description of the DIP switches is "Rack 2: SW1 number 5 off all others on"

On DIP Switch 1, the first 6 switches define the Rack Number.
SW1-5 OFF with all others ON defines Rack 02.
SW1-6 OFF with all others ON defines Rack 01.

Make sure that Rack 2 is in your Scanlist, or change the DIP switches and cycle power to accomodate a scanlist with Node 1.

You are correct about the Full Rack size; the 1794-ASB scans the attached modules at boot-up time and 7 or 8 modules makes up a Full Rack when you are in Standard addressing mode.

The rest of the switches:

S1-7 and 8: Starting Group 00
S2-1 ON: Reset outputs on communication loss
S2-2 ON: Allow processor restart on fault
S2-3,4 ON: 57.6 kb/s data rate
S2-5,8 ON: Standard Addressing Mode
S2-6 ON: Rack Fault not enabled
S2-7 ON: Hold Input Data

The 1794asb module is completely new, so the addressing should be the latest one.

That is a dangerous assumption. I would advise that you post the full catalog number and version so that the guys can confirm that.

Stu......

The Flex IO goes to the 1A port in the 1B port communicate with a PLC5 scanner module with a Remote I/O. That remote PLC5 I/O its the one we are going to migrate at the Flex IO system but first we must have running the Flex IO and make the migration fastest as we can. Thanks

Are you saying you are going to remove the remote I/O attached to channel 1B?
And replace it with your new Flex I/O?

I would use channel 1B and just add the new Flex I/O.
If you still want to use channel 1A then it has to be configured for "Remote I/O scanner" not an adapter. The adapter is your new 1794-ASB.
Was there anything connect to channel 1A that was configured for DH+?

Also you don't need block transfers for digital modules only your analog modules. The block transfers you added in ladder 13 are looking for rack 3 you wanted rack 2.

The Flex IO goes to the 1A port in the 1B port communicate with a PLC5 scanner module with a Remote I/O. That remote PLC5 I/O its the one we are going to migrate at the Flex IO system but first we must have running the Flex IO and make the migration fastest as we can. Thanks

Port 1A is a DH+ Channel, and can not be used with the ASB Module which is a Remote I/O Adapter. Channel 2B is unused, and could be set up for Remote I/O and used for testing the Flex I/O Module.

Stu...

Port 1A is a DH+ Channel, and can not be used with the ASB Module which is a Remote I/O Adapter. Channel 2B is unused, and could be set up for Remote I/O and used for testing the Flex I/O Module.

Stu...

He can if he wants to . But I agree I would not do it that way. See picture below ( of what he did,which is not going to work with his new Flex I/O) he can configure it to do whatever.

channel1A.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Im going to configure my Flex IO system trhough a 1794-asb adapter in the channel 1A in the 1B we must conserve the PLC5 remote IO running while we do the migration. You are right in the ladder 13 I addres rack 3 but that is because I attach a previous version in the latest version I have rack 2 in the ladder program and don´t communicate. I don´t understand the part of not use BTR and BTW for the digital modules...How I addres this directions? Where do I read and write my inputs and outputs? Thanks folks for your help

He can if he wants to . But I agree I would not do it that way. See picture below ( of what he did,which is not going to work with his new Flex I/O) he can configure it to do whatever.

Ah, I had to go back and reread the posts to get a clear picture. I am used to seeing Port 1A set up for DH+, and usually on the Plant Network. The setup in the second Program sets the Channel to act as Remote I/O Adapter for another PLC. Is that really what you intended?

Stu.....

The channel B has a PLC5 remote rack with IO modules running in the plant. Paralelly we are going to configure a Flex IO system and wire the IO that goes to the PLC5 remote rack and migrate it to our FlexIO but that is a parallel operation. The PLC5 remote IO rack its a system in operation the Flex IO its the replace system that will operate..when I can confiugre the communication. If you need more information please say it. Thanks