Comments (AB)

Oceansoul

I have an offline copy of a program from a SLC5/04 which has comments. This is quite an old version and has been changed many times by others.

Now when i go online, i choose to make a new file so i have the most up to date version, but there are no comments on any of the rungs/bits.

Why is this???

The comments are stored in the offline file. If you choose Create New File, then your new file will have no comments (except for the system file).

If you choose Upload Use File, and browse to the old file with comments, then the PLC logic will be read and will be up to date and accurate with what's in the PLC, and the old comments will be applied to those addresses.

In most cases, this is what you want to do. Next, save the file, and make sure all those old comments are really accurate and make any necessary changes to the comments to reflect things that may have been changed over the years. And, of course, save the file again once you get all the comments reading how they should be.

Ok cool.
So when i get to this screen;

I press upload use file, then choose my out of date file with comments, and it will download the file that is currently in the PLC and stick the comments on it?

Any reason why the comments aren't sent to the PLC?

Click the browse button and find your offline file then select it and then the Upload Use file should be selectable.

HTH

Oceansoul said:
So when i get to this screen

I press upload use file, then choose my out of date file with comments, and it will download the file that is currently in the PLC and stick the comments on it?[/quote]

As BobO said, browse to the folder where the old file is first, then press Upload Use File.

[quote=Oceansoul]Any reason why the comments aren't sent to the PLC?[/quote]

Well, let's see, the average SLC has 16K of memory...max of 64K...and as little as 1K.

So, it's more important to save that memory for program instructions and data...

And maybe after using the browse and then Upload options use "Save As" and assign a new name to the file just so your original file remains intact.

OG