Trojan horse scada attacks on Seimens

Well, from reading that, the cause is insane idiocy on the part of Siemens. Requiring hard-coded administrator accounts and passwords is about as irresponsible as can be.

It's mentioned in the SME newsletter as well. Sorry, no links - came as an email.

From the email:

Technology
Malware Threatens Manufacturing Software Systems Worldwide.
Managing Automation (7/19, Chiappinelli) reported, "Manufacturers worldwide have been put on notice that an insidious virus targeting supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems is on the loose." The targets of the virus "are Siemens' SIMATIC WinCC and PCS7 software, integral components of the distributed control and SCADA systems that facilitate production operations in many process manufacturing companies."

The Wired (7/19, Zetter) "Threat Level" blog described the virus as "a sophisticated new piece of malware that targets command-and-control software installed in critical infrastructures" that "uses a known default password that the software maker hard-coded into its system. The password has been available online since at least 2008, when it was posted to product forums in Germany and Russia. The password protects the database used in Siemens' Simatic WinCC SCADA system, which runs on Windows operating systems."

Newer versions of the SQL Server install - i.e. with PCS7 v7 - prompt you to select whether to use the default password or a specific password.

I presume that setting something other than default password avoids this issue?