MSG via NET-ENI

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there any way to directly MSG between teo ML-1200 through NET-ENI modules? I'm currently using a ML1100 on the same Ethernet network to read from one ML-1200 and to write to another ML-1200 through their respective ENI modules. The data isn't machine safety related, so I'm not overly concerned about efficiency, but it would be nice to have them communicate directly. It seems like a waste of resources to have the ML-1100 doing this extra work.

BTW, connecting via DF1 isn't possible, because I need the NET-ENI to allow communication with Ethernet-based HMIs.

Maybe a port splitter would work?

Not sure I understand your configuration.

Isn't this just a matter of reading from the other and writing to yourself?

I've only had experience with explicit messaging between PF drives, but it seems equally simple.

The trick is that the 1761-NET-ENI has a table of DF1/IP address equivalents.

When you initiate a message from a MicroLogix 1200, the target address will be a DF1 address between 0 and 49. The Net-ENI looks up the IP address associated with that DF1 address and forwards the message to it, as well as managing the reply.

This table is configured either with the NET-ENI Utility (the Message Routing tab) or by sending another MSG to a DF1 address for Configuration. Send a configuration address to DF1 Node 100, for example, to configure the DF1/IP message routing for the target address DF1 Node 00.

This table is only necessary in the Net-ENI that is connected to the MicroLogix that's initiating the MSG instructions. If the "target" Net-ENI and MicroLogix are just responding to messages, they don't need any configuration of the Message Routing table.