Need Card Reader Solution for PLC

rvdsabu4life

Here is what we are trying to accomplish.

We need a card reader to read employees cards, then log the start/stop time as well as the data from the plc and output it into Excel. We will be using either contrologix or compactlogix.

Any ideas on a good card reader and back-end software for this?

Last edited:
Do you only need the ******* if you are converting serial to ethernet? I just ordered a magswipe and rf serial rs232 and if we just hook directly to our idec PLC into an rs232 port and talk ascii to it should that be all we need?

******* = c-o-m-t-r-o-l

Last edited:
You know, this really isn't a good application for a PLC, right? Unless you have some absolutely compelling reason that is, which you haven't mentioned.

There are actual dedicated systems out there like this one which are a lot less expensive, and immensely more flexible for time tracking.

Com­trol

You can use the key shortcut Alt+0173 to insert a blank hyphen somewhere in the word.

Type half the word then hold Alt while typing 0-1-7-3 on the keypad. Then type the rest of the word. This method should work for any word filter on any website.

This application has been done before with a different automation contractor and they want us to make a system for them here. The application is and oil & gas company has a waste water disposal. They want us to install a panel with a plc and card reader so when their 45 trucks with existing gas cards in each truck can swipe their card and enter their pin number on an hmi before the valve will open for them to unload their tanks. Once they are confirmed as being able to unload they enter what they are unloading and we will have a density sensor monitoring to make sure what they say they are unloading is actually true and it will also monitor how many barrels they unloaded vs was they say they unloaded then transmit the data to a server using a kepware style system...that is date stamped with each drivers information. Why would you say that a PLC is not a good application for that???