Is RSLogix 500 v2.1 still useable ?

Fred Mau

Lifetime Supporting Member
I haven't done any AB SLC programming in years, since at least '02 or '03 and even then I was using older RS Logix software v2.10.12 from I think '98 or '99. I was going through an old filing cabinet and discovered I still have the software.

My question: Is v2 even marginally useful for anything today? I don't have any specific project in mind - I'd anticipate that, at most, I might someday need to take a quick look online for troubleshooting, or maybe read out an older program for migration purposes. Is v2 "good enough" that I should keep it around just in case, or is it SO outdated that it's not even worth bothering with ?

Sure, it will work with controller firmware and PC operating systems that you were using in 1999.

As RA adds features to controller firmware, the software has to be updated to support those features as well. If you got a new SLC-5/03, for example, with OS302 Series C operating system and Firmware FRN11, that old software would not be able to upload, download, go online, or edit that controller.

Probably the most useful thing about an RSLogix 500 v2 license is that it means if you got an RA TechConnect contract, even the eConnect Internet-only version, you could download the current RSLogix 500 v8.20 and work on any controller that's been built in the past eleven years.

As long as it supports the processor model/firmware that you are using its still usable.

If you are a licensed user but don't have a current need to upgrade I suggest you keep it if for no other reason than to hang on to your license and serial number - at some future point when you need it you can purchase a tech connect support contract and upgrade to the latest version. Its a lot cheaper than buying a new license.

I agree with the above comments but I want to throw one curve at you. That version was likely designed to run on Windows 95 and Windows 98. It will likely not run on anything newer. It wasn't until version 5.xx that XP was supported.

But as Ken stated, if you ever need a newer version you won't need to buy a whole new copy.

OG