Read data from EL5101 encoders interfase in twincat

georve

Hello everyone. I`m new learner in twincat, and i`m making an application to test some advice connected to a plc beckhoff. I`m trying to read data from encoder, i`m using EL5101 module and i have made the setting following the advise given by beckhoff web page, but i do`nt know how to answer the data from module in twincat on st or ladder language. Someone have a code example. or could someone give some advice in how to read data from device

Hi Georve,

Did you find out?

I have same type of application using EL5151, I have truble of finding how to read and calculate position and flow from encoder pulses.

If you did succeed, maybe I can have som code example?

Thanks

Best Regards
Hans Pettersson

how to set up the encoder EL5151 follow these steps:
1. In twincat System Manager, you must to find EL5151 device in set up device with two option. Add device or find device.. my option appear in spanish ->Dispositivos de E/S->Device.. Here you appear a menu to add device or find them.
2. To config the EL5151 you can follow this advice http://www.judiwa.com/2009/12/15/how-to-setup-beckhoff-el5151-encoder-module/
3. In your PLC proyect you must declare a global var for example
count AT %IW12:UDINT;(*Encoder counter*) DINT because the register is 32 bit long. in this case i wanted to read data from counter
4. You Must to link var with physical register. In system manager you must to add your plc coded to you system manager, that can be in PLC-Config appear an option to add plc project. after you have done it, you must add a link between your in/out var and your in/out physical. In my example i did it with "Counter value . ENC Inputs . Terminal 5 (EL5151) . Dispositivo 1 (EtherCAT (v2.10 only)) . Dispositivos de E/S"
5. When you run your proyect you can see how the counter value change if your encoder move forward or toward

Dear Georve.
I want to ask you do we need to configure the NC-configurations and Apend Axis in order to perform the whole configuration of EL5101. OR we just need to follow the steps that you defined above?
Please reply thanks