Mitsubishi FX PLC Software Question

boiler-todd

I recently had two machines come in with Mitsubishi PLC's. One was a used welder with an FX0 system. The other is a new machine with an FX3 system. These are the first Mitsubishi systems for my plant. The powers to be decided to go against our plant standards for the lower cost of the new machines. Anyway, I am in need of software and was wondering do I only need one type of software or is this similar to running an Allen Bradley PLC5 versus SLC 500 versus Controllogix where I need separate software. One last question. Are the cable needed the same? Thank you.

You need to get mitsubishi gx developer version 8, this will operate fx0 and fx3 plc's, you will also need an sc-09 programming lead, which should come with the software if bought new, if not you can buy separatly, or get a cheap copy off ebay (£20 instead of £200).software is around £500 ish and like i say should have the programming lead with it

Boiler Todd. It is possible that the PLC's are programmed with GX,IEC,Developer.(maybe not the FX0) If this is the case, then GX Developer should be able to read the programmes installed providing there are no higher functions being used. If your machines are fairly simple then all will be ok, bear in mind there will be no comments in the PLC and you should really request a fully documented program from the people you obtained the machines from.
Best of luck Badger.

How would you know there are no comments in the PLC. Mitsubishi can store the comments in the PLC memory.
Also the software you need is GX developer FX it's cheaper than the full version (*only programs the FX range - of which you have)

Granted, you can't save comments on an FXo (800 steps I think) but the FX 1's and 2' and 3's have a much larger memory. The FX3 having 16K minimum.
When I have finished a program I shuffle the memory to allow the smallest space possible for the program and use the rest for comments.

And if you didnt know - comments will only save 2 lines per bit. the rest is disgregarded.
If you ever come across a machine with one of my plc's in it - you will thank me that I saved as much information as was possible within the plc :)

Thanks goody I knew there was some memory allocated for comments but had always thought it was too small to be of any use. Regards Badger.