Siemens STEP7 or WinCC on Win7 ?

Fred Mau

Lifetime Supporting Member
Yeah, I know that Siemens doesn't 'officially' support Win7 yet. But I also know that in the past I've run older Step7/WinCC on newer versions of windows that weren't yet supported. Sometimes this can be accomplished by editing the setups.ini file on the root of the install CD as to "allowable OS" and then you take you chances as to whether it'll actually run or crash.

Before I embark on a fool's errand of attempting the same trick to try to make Step7 v5.4 and WinCC v6.2 run under Win7, has anybody else been there done that and had success or failure?

win7 has a full virtual PC with winXP pro

I have not tryied it with S7 yet, but it is very much like using XP directly if you open the virtual machine.

Or you can just point an application to run in XPmode and it looks like it is just running in its normal window on the Win7 desktop. In reality it is running in the VM in both cases.

All network connections and USB ports are available in the VM.

It was 500 meg but it worked better than anything I have ever used from Microsoft.

win7 has a full virtual PC with winXP pro

I have not tryied it with S7 yet, but it is very much like using XP directly if you open the virtual machine.

I couldn't get WinCC v6.2 to install under the XP VM. WinCC installer wants to see a particular XP hotfix which can only be applied to XP+SP2; It appears the XP VM is virtualizing XP+SP3 which, because it's newer than the hotfix, won't let you install it.

There's probably a way to get WinCC installer to ignore this but I haven't figured it out yet. Of course I'll probably have the same hurdle trying to install under Win7.

Fred,

I did install S7 and WinCC in WInXP +SP3 with no issues.

Used that setup for over a year with no issues.

I did not encounter the hotfix issue you mention.

Another option would be to scrap WIN XP VM and use sun VM and install the version of WinXP you want/need/desire.

I also did this using WinXP PRo SP# as the main OS and installed SUN VM and then a different configuration of WINXP.

I did this to get a "clean" install to do some testing and make thinstall apps, but it will work for anything.

My point is , there could be some conflict on your main windows install and a new VM install of WINXP might solve the issue or help you discover what the conflict is.

I discovered some software would install on a clean version of WinXP but not on the main version running my PC. Possibly there is a conflict.

I think I remember a conflict with one version of dot net and some of the Seimens software, but I can't recall the details.

I don't have that kind of time to try all the different combinations anymore. Maybe you do. It might provide a clue.

Even if it doesn't offer a clue, some version of WInXP on SunVM should work and its fun to learn SunVM in either case.