WonderWare, DASABCIP and String Program Tags

WildeKurt

I'm new to WW so be gentle....

I'm having trouble communicating with tags from the runtime environement, through DASABCIP when I try using string program tags (WW I/O message). Discrete I/O and I/O message to controller-level tags seems to be OK. In the DASABCIP console under the Diagnostics->Messages folder I see the tags that are working but don't see anything for the string program tag I'm having trouble with. Here's what I have for an item name:

Program:GMT900.KP_Sta1

Everything else is the same as with the working tags. Have I formatted this wrong?

What is your PLC? What is the tag type that you're trying to access? Tell us as much as possible -- we can't read your mind. We don't know your system. You're going to have to help us help you...

I'm new to WW so be gentle....

I'm having trouble communicating with tags from the runtime environement, through DASABCIP when I try using string program tags (WW I/O message). Discrete I/O and I/O message to controller-level tags seems to be OK.
This is the key for me, when you say Controller Level, I am assuming that you are meaning Controller Scoped?

In the DASABCIP console under the Diagnostics->Messages folder I see the tags that are working but don't see anything for the string program tag I'm having trouble with. Here's what I have for an item name:

Program:GMT900.KP_Sta1

Everything else is the same as with the working tags. Have I formatted this wrong?

Are you sure that you have the format correctly? I have not done this in a while, but could probably do some testing later to confirm.

I dont think you can access program tags with wonderware. might want to check into that.
Interesting, I know this works with FTME (well you would hope so anyways!!).
I did have an instance a while back, when a customer was trying to do it, and I think they had it locally scoped. They were not as competent as they should of been to understand the difference, but I think they changed it to global.

I will defintely check now.

You should be able to access locally scope tags. Assuming this is a ControlLogix, your format 'Program:GMT900.KP_Sta1' is correct if GMT900 is the program name and KP_Stal is the string tag defined locally under GMT900.
Try restarting the IO server or pc to initialize the tags.

Sorry, forgot the controller: AB CompactLogix.

I was able to get the string tag to read but not sure how. I'm following the format giving in the WW docs for the DASABCIP driver. It seems starting and stopping it may be the issue or perhaps changing/adding tags with WindowMaker on (?). Anyone else have issues?