Plc,touchscreen,and a camera

aharleynut

I am trying to figure out how to send jpegs to a touch screen, and use the plc for a trigger, and screen manipulation. I have found a couple of touch screens with video channels so i think im good there. But what camera? I need to send the jpeg to the touch screen at the time of the trigger, and dont want the camera to store the image. The camera want be doing any function but taking and sending the jpeg. (no inspection) are there cameras that let you have external control as far as sending, deleting, etc.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Why can't you just send the video to the screen at all times? That doesn't need to involve a PLC.

If you want a STILL picture to show up for a set amount of time. You might try a HMI that allows activeX or similar program interface and a webcam.

What kind of camera are you trying to use? What are you trying to capture immages of? What are you going to do with the immages once you have them? I have set up several high speed inspection systems but can't tell you much if I don't understand your application.

I have the task of designing a system where a trigger will prompt a digital camera to take a snapshot and immediately send the picture to a monitor of some sort. I am thinking a touchscreen because also need to have the ablility to store up to 4 pics, have the capibility to scroll all 4 pics, and be able to delete them. The camera just needs to be an ordinary digital camera that will accept a external trigger, and send pics automatically or when triggered. Soooo, basically, what Im trying to do is this.

Take a digital pic and transfer it to a touchscreen via a trigger or have it go there automatically. Once its there have the capability of scrolling from one pic to the next. Then deleting the pics. I need to do this without a pc. I know this is an odd task for industrial controls, but thats my task.

This is less of an industrial automation question and more of a "how-to capture/view" question. I'm thinking a video feed with a screen capture function. Something like an iPad with camera connection to a web cam. Trigger the screen capture function (the difficult part). iPad has built-in screen capture if you hold the home button and press the power button but to drive this off of an external trigger is difficult.

You may want to post this same question on a website I started last year. Entrepreneurs of Knoxville (http://eokhq.com). Lots of smart people who think outside the box.

~Leo

I have done this using a Fuji HMI with a video input module. The HMI can take up to 4 channels of NTSC (or PAL) video. There is a background SNAP function that can take a snapshot of the video images based on a trigger and save it as a JPEG on a CF Card or USB stick. I think it was a Banner camera, but I am not 100% sure.

I would use a Banner Omni camera and either a Redlion or ProFace HMI.
Banner Camera spit out a bitmap.
I choose Redlion over ProFace 95% of the time. There a few special applications that the ProFace is the only system that has worked for me. I have used them both. They are great sytems. You can zoom, save images to CF cards.