Wonderware/InSQL, require regular physical samples for gas monitoring.

jimmcc

Hi folks,

I am working with a Wonderware/IndustrialSQL system for the monitoring and analysis of harmful gases. I want to read the samples from the Runtime SQL database into another system. Now I notice that if the value (e.g. gas concentration) for a tag is constant, no new samples seem to be recorded (no matter what the storage mode). So on occasions, the last recorded sample timestamp for a tag can be several hours old. I would like the re-assurance of recording a regular new ‘physical’ sample every 30 sec or so even if the gas level is constant.

From poking around in the Runtime database and reading the InSQL documentation I gather now how cyclic/delta/forced storage works. The samples are buffered in the ‘active image’ (default 65 samples/tag), then for cyclic/delta the ‘history’ samples may be thinned out. But even when I set up a test tag using ‘forced’ storage, there are still these occasional long gaps between samples in the active image.

I am assuming that the tag value recorded in table/view Runtime::AnalogLive (now Live in version 90), which is pushed into the active image, is the last received sample from the I/O server. But I notice that this value too, even for the ‘forced’ tag, can be one or more hours old at times.

What I am concluding is that the I/O Server is simply not delivering up a new sample unless the value has changed from the last sample? If so, are there any configuration settings in the I/O server (or further back) which will force it to deliver a sample, preferably every 15-30 sec or so? And would these settings tend to be hardware dependent?

As I am new to Wonderware/InSQL/PLCs, I may have completely the wrong end of things! Perhaps I should be reading direct from the I/O server or from the PLC? However it would be much neater if I could read the values from the InSQL Server database, for various reasons.

I did not set up the Wonderware/InSQL system, and it may not be configured appropriately for my requirements. The DbRevision is 54.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I know that the wonderware historian has 'deadband' values that, if the analog value does not depart from, it will not save a new value. IIRC OSI's PI does this also to save space.

I dont know of a way for force ww to re-save values but I'm pretty sure you can (what happens if you set the deaband to 0 ?), OR you could set that deadband to a value very small such that the normal fluxuation of the reading triggers a new save.

No one else helped, so you get a clueless me =)

-John

I know that the wonderware historian has 'deadband' values that, if the analog value does not depart from, it will not save a new value. IIRC OSI's PI does this also to save space.

I dont know of a way for force ww to re-save values but I'm pretty sure you can (what happens if you set the deaband to 0 ?), OR you could set that deadband to a value very small such that the normal fluxuation of the reading triggers a new save.

No one else helped, so you get a clueless me =)

-John

Thanks John, I might tweek the deadband to see what happens with 'delta' storage, but I am thinking that with the historian 'forced' storage setting, what you get is what comes in from the IO server/PLC? The InSQL server does not change or filter the samples, or so it says in the documentation.

Anyway, any suggestions are much appreciated...

James

What about skipping the historian and just have InTouch run a script that it would write the tag value to the InSQL database. I wish I could provide you with examples of what we've done before, but I uninstalled my WonderWare stuff. Take a look at the "InTouch HMI Supplementary Components Guide", Chapter 3 deals with SQL databases. And wonderware has some great examples online.

Check the logger and InSQL status screen for any comm errors. I recall there was something to the fact that if none of the tags in a topic change value within a specific period of time, the topic gets put into a slow poll mode and none of the tags get updated. The solution was to create a tag that polls a PLC address that changes periodically like the PLC second or minute.