wGHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CODE

LENA2383

I am working on this start a sequence with a PBNO switch. 6 lights will come on in 5 second interval. A PBNC switch will turn the lights of in 5 second intervals. I am trying to use BSR and BSL instruction. Here is what I have so far but I doesn't seem to be working. I haven't put in for the lights to turn off in 5 second intervals yet.

solo

lab#12.jpg

Last edited:
What is wrong? Are you kidding?

The main thing is that there is no way to keep the timer on after you press the PB addressed to I:1/1 you have to seal it in. Then presuming there is a workable bit pattern in the B3 word address the BSL might just work for ya. But you are close! Close to doing what I am not sure but by your description, I am not sure you know either.

Ask yourself this: How does the BSL instruction know whether to bring a one or a zero into the vacated position when it shifts the pattern left? You haven't provided any logic to tell it.

Second question: If you want to turn six lights on and off in sequence, why is the length of the BSL instruction 3?

I fear that LENA2383 is gonna be a Traffic Control Engineer.

LENA2383,

You simply have to learn how to do the ground-work BEFORE jumping in!

You've been here for a while and have yet to show that you have an understanding of the concept of "conceptualizing a concept"!

Yeah, a bit redundant... so what.

Envision the result you are seeking. Put it in a timing-diagram.

Then look for cause and effect in "general terms".

Then define those "general term" in more specific terms.

You need to develop an idea from the "vision" (the end-result) downward toward the minutiae (the fine details) that cause the expected result.

In this game (PLC Programming), reasonable results can only be obtained through reasonable development practices.

That doesn't mean you won't be able to "hack" your way to your "vision". However, if you do hack your way to your vision, then I'm that much more afraid that you will be a Traffic Control Engineer.

My purpose for the three was to try to get three lights working first. I was trying to go by an example in the book.

Last edited:
Lena I am going to attempt to explain in plain English, something I would understand.

You first rung (as Randy stated) can NOT latch in the timer.

NOTE: MAKE A NOTE TO YOU OF THIS: Any action that is started needs a way to be stopped.

Think of HOW you could make that timer continously loop (this has been discussed ALOT on here), you have the right idea by using the timers DN bit as an XIC to restart the timer BUT you failed to LATCH the timer.

Add another rung where PB will turn on a bit and the bit latches itself...remember what I said about STOP too. Then use that bit to initiate the timer.

Terry gets into DEEP details BUT if you take the time, maybe even print out what he says, and READ in detail then you will come closer to understanding. The same goes for many many of the others too.

Take your time, read, then read again, then read again, try, try again, try again. Look at your examples closer, take more time to read in detail.

Terry stated it best with the comments on conceptualizing. You have to "draw" a picture of the process then implement that picture. To quote Terry...you have to be the COMPUTER.