Torque(current control) motor test rig

star_watcher

I am building a test rig which will have two 50HP dc motors connected together, which will me used to test the motors/drives under current control.

My question is how to physically connect the two motors together. Should I just have a fixed coupling or should I have some sort of clutch arrangement?

Any suggestions?

I am building a test rig which will have two 50HP dc motors connected together, which will me used to test the motors/drives under current control.

My question is how to physically connect the two motors together. Should I just have a fixed coupling or should I have some sort of clutch arrangement?

Any suggestions?

I think you need to describe the setup better - for example
1. What is the load, variable (or?) and how do you adjust it
2. What are you testing - motors or controllers or?
3. Why do you want to couple and uncouple motors?
4. A brief explanation of test parameter and desired measurements wold help.

Dan Bentler

Hi guys, Its not a production rig its just to test drives and motors off line from the main system.

My concern is if for some reason we have a stall condition or overload condition.

Dan,

1. The load is variable, on the test rig it will be via a pot. On the main system it is via a computer voltave output.
2. I am testing motors, tachos, and controllers.
3. I dont need to uncouple the motors I'm asking do I need a clutch or is a fixed coupling ok?
4. The rig is to test the operation of mainly the motor controllers but also the motors.

Thanks for your help.

I would pick a coupling that can withstand some miss-alignment that wont be too difficult to change when you need to test a motor. Maybe a rubber "tyre" type coupling.

Nick

Last edited: