View Full Version : Modbus TCP/IP with GE RX3i

asterof
August 1st, 2010, 09:32 AM
Is there a module for the GE that can talk Modbus TCP/IP
Also how would I get the RX3i to talk Bacnet

Thanks

Steve Bailey
August 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
IC695ETM001 module suports Modbus TCP as both client and server.

I'm not aware of any direct BACNET interface, but the Red Lion G3 series of HMI supports it and could act as a bridge.

asterof
August 1st, 2010, 07:43 PM
IC695ETM001
I thought that was an Ethernet Module

Steve Bailey
August 1st, 2010, 08:42 PM
It is an ethernet module. Modbus TCP is an ethernet protocol.

asterof
August 7th, 2010, 12:55 AM
It is an Ethernet module. Modbus TCP is an Ethernet protocol.

It is a modbus packet wrapped by a standard Ethernet protocol
packet. It requires one encoder to wrap the data and another TCP/IP decoder to decode the data. You can not send a modbus packet to
a standard Ethernet device and expect it to work.
I guess the better question would be, can you send modbus TCP/IP
packets and standard Ethernet packets over the same network with
out causing problems. Normally the module takes the PLC data and
creates the modbus packet, wraps it with an Ethernet packet and sends it.

Steve Bailey
August 7th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Your original question was about finding a module for the Rx3i that can talk Modbus TCP/IP. I identified one. You expressed doubt. I'll accept your interpretation of the geek speak if you'll accept my assertion that the IC695ETM001 can handle those double wrapped packets that comprise Modbus TCP/IP.

According to the catalog, GFA-406F, page 65, under the heading "Protocol Support", the module supports Modbus TCP as either a client or a server. I believe that means it can both wrap the packets and send them as well as receive the packets and unwrap them.

asterof
August 7th, 2010, 08:15 AM
does the module need to be configured for modbus TCP/IP
Cause if it does, then it can only do Modbus TCP/IP and to use
a Standard Ethernet comm would require a second module set for
Ethernet ?
I am trying to figure if I need two modules.

Steve Bailey
August 7th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Yes, the port needs to be configured for Modbus TCP/IP, and once set up for it, I believe it will be limited to that. It may be possible to change the port's configuration via commands initiated in ladder logic, but I'm not sure about that. You'd have to get the manual for the module and look for "COMREQ" functions to see what can be done. Even if it's possible, the port will have to drop Modbus TCP/IP communications while using "Standard Ethernet Comm".

Certainly, the easiest way to do what you want would be to add a second ETM001. The second physical port on the module is just an unmanaged switch. I hope I used the correct terminology there. You can only assign a single IP address to the module.

Edit: The publication number for the manual is GFK-2224F

RussB
August 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Please get the manual that Steve indicated. You will find that this module can handle at least 4 different protocols simultaneously these are TCP/IP (as used by the web publisher), SRTP (used by Proficy ME), EGD, and Modbus TCP. You will not need COMM_REQs with this module if you set up its configuration properly.
You are correct that some Ethernet modules/ports by GEIP and others can handle just one protocol at a time like the one on the VersaMax Micro. But remember these are actually Ethernet to Serial adapters, not true serial ports and that is why they are not as versatile.
You will only need more than one Ethernet module if you need to segregate your network, maybe keep a SCADA off the I/O network or similar.

You will find it here:GFK-2224
(http://support.ge-ip.com/support/index?page=docchannel&id=S:DO2008&actp=search)