1747 UIC problems

daddys12

I have a AB 5/03 with a Panelview on a piece of equipment that we obtained from a sister plant. I have been totally unable to connect to it.

I am using a 1747 UIC USB converter and a 9 pin cable.

Which device are you trying to connect to? ( SLC or PV)

On that device what port are you connecting to? SLC's DH485 port or its serial port? And PV's port?

From the UIC to the device what cable(s) are you using?

Can you provide the complete catalog number of your Panelview?

How do you have RSLinx configured? What version of RSLinx do you have?

See link below for the 1747-UIC's manual if you don't have it.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in063_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
Hello,

Probably not it, but worth saying... Some years back whoever designed our system decided to put the panelview on node 1 and the processor on node 2. This made it difficult to figure out why it wasn't talking because default settings would have the processor on node 1.

Like I said, probably not the issue, but worth a look.

-Dave

I am trying to connect to the SLC using a 1747-CP3 cable through the 485 USB converter.
I have tried just about every available driver config. that RSlinx has. Using RSLinx ver. 2.55

Then you are using the SLC"s serial port, right?

Do you know how your SLC5/03 serial port is configured?

For the 1747-UIC to work your SLC5/03's serial port would have to be configured for DH485, is it?

Do you have the offline file? If so check the serial ports configuration or post your .RSS file and someone here can take a look. Zip the file first then post.

If the port is configured for DF1 then you need a USB to serial adapter, if you don't have a real serial port on your PC. A "keyspan" is a good one.
If your PC has a real serial port then the cable 1747-CP3 should work for DF1 protocol. ( use RSLinx's RS232 DF1 Devices Driver for DF1 protocol)

See link below if you need one( scroll down right hand side)

http://www.plctrainer.net/

What port was the Panelview connected to and again what is the complete catalog number of your PV? This info may help us determine how the SLC5/03's serial port is configured.

See PDF below for how-to connect to your SLC's serial port if its configured for DF1 protocol.

Last edited:
Yes, I am using the serial port.

The controller was last configured DF1-1 Node 1d local Comms Path - USMCOP318!AB_KT-2\1.

The Panelview is a 2711-B5A2 PV550 Key/Touch, FRN3.11-3.29 DH485 Node 2 Baud Rate 19200.

The controller was last configured DF1-1 Node 1d local Comms Path - USMCOP318!AB_KT-2\1.

That does not tell us how the serial port is set up. Can you post your .RSS file? ( zip it first)

Or use your 1747-UIC to connect to the DH485 port of your SLC5/03. See post two for the manual. You will need a 1747-C13 cable.

Your SLC5/03 serial port is setup for DF1 protocol.

You will need a USB to serial adapter as mentioned above a "Keyspan" is a good one. See link in post #5 if you need it.

To get connect to your SLC5/03 with its serial port setup for DF1 see
Rslinx set PDF in post #5.

The 1747-UIC will not work connected to the SLC5/03's serial port configured for DF1 protocol. You can however use it to connect to the DH485 port.