Connection to a Safety Curtain

mmarinr

What's up guys?

I need advice about installing a safety curtain. I'm using an Allen Bradley SLC 500. I need to connect a safety curtain that can be reset from the panel view or a button next to it. Do you guys know of any recommended brands? It will help if you guys do know how to connect it to the PLC...

It's a 1000-2000mm height range. I still need to confirm the exact number.

Cheers

MMR

Machinery Safety is a big concern here.

A light curtain needs to be tied into the E-Stop circuit, which when triggered, would drop out your E-Stop relay. You need to put the light curtain in series with your other E-Stop buttons. Add a button on your panelview, which I figure is already communicating with your PLC. You can use a contact output card in your rack, or use an existing output, to a reset relay, and use the contacts on the relay for reset.

If your not sure what you are doing, safety wise, on dangerous machinery, you shouldn't be doing it alone.

If the machine that is supposed to be protected is loaded for each cycle and light curtain are blocked at the time of load it is impractical to wire light curtain along with the E-Stop push buttons.
Instead light curtain should be wired so the relays that are controlled by it will drop power to the protected PLC outputs but will not open E-Stop circuit.

Agreed, depends on the machinery involved. Either way, when it comes to safety, you need to know what you are doing. My worse fear, would be someone getting hurt, in a machine which I designed the safety circuit.

Thanks a lot for your ideas!

And completely agreed safety comes first! The machine and the safety circuit will be tested before going into production process.

I appreciate your help! (y)

Safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, the only right way to use a SAFETY light curtain is to interface that light curtain with a safety controller. This safety controller should then interface with safety relays that control the dangerous motion of the machine. This could or could not be independant of the e-stop circuit.

Go to Banner Engineering to read up on how these operate then HIRE someone who knows what they are doing to engineer this job. This is NOT for the inexperienced - testing might not identify the failure mode. This should all be done on the risk analysis BEFORE the system is designed.