Allen Bradley comm, lots of options!! i want cheap

SLK Rik

Hi group, i am a maintenance guy trying to learn all i can about
plc's the industry standard where i am employed is AB. :confused:
i have used pic's, and the pcmk card communication. can i comm with the 500,1,2,3,4 plc5 using the 9 pin serial port on my laptop without spending pmck card money??

I know you can on the 502/3/4 and plc5, not sure about the other 2.
The speed is not that great using the com port especially after being spoiled with the PCMK card.

I am not too worried about speed, time=money. where would i find the info to buy or make the needed cables? 🤾

9 pin cables should be easily purchased at most computer stores for around $10. You could also use a 9 pin null modem cable with a null modem adapter with would swap pins 2 and 3 back around. Null cables are 2 to 2, 3 to 3 and 5 to 5.

The 1747-UIC that Rick metioned looks like it would be worth looking into. I've always hated the pain in the but many different processors with many different com port settings presented between the 1747-PIC and the DF1 driver. It appears that with this new PIC, the DF1 driver also drives the PIC. It also looks like it would be easier to find a home for it in the laptop bag than the PIC.

Good point Rik! OK, who want to be the guinea pig?... :p

By the way, A-B/Rockwell stuff doesn't have "bugs", only "anomalies"... ;)

beerchug

-Eric