Visual Basic Interface With PLC.

paulinny

Hi,

I have virtualy no llc experience so please bear with me

I have a "dash board" application that reports data that i collect from various systems in the plant...,things like efficiency, production records, etc...,interesting stats shown on a flat panel monitor hung in a key area of the plant. Our lines are plc equipped and the lines have a hmi that displays the current fault that caused the line to stop. I thought it would be useful if i could add each lines fault code to the "dash board display". Can some give me a general idea of how i can most easily get that fault code out of the plc and into my visual studio app? Is there an easy way to grab this via rs232, rs485, or ethernet?

Thanks in advance.

-Paul

What is the HMI that is on the lines?
Does the line work if the HMI has faulted or is not communicating?

It may be easier to poll the HMI rather than the PLC.

They are all different....one has an hmi from Maple Systems, others are an Allen Bradley touch screen ( don't know model without looking).

Would it be possible for the pc to read the fault code via rs232 or ethernet?

Yes, but you would need to use something like advanced hmi. And know a little about VB (mmm Beer).

In that thread he covers how to make multiple connections, but I, personally, don't know the extent of the program.